The King Rides for Winterfell

The dawn was fast approaching. Lewyn had not seen the Capitol this busy in a very long time. The whole thing was fascinating. All the carts, all the people, the animals. As Oberyn walked him to the wheelhouse, he tried to take everything in. When he saw the wheelhouses, his heart leapt. He'd never ridden in one before. His excitement died away a little though when he saw The Queen, and Joffrey. His smile faltered just a bit.

"My Queen", Oberyn bowed, then did the same to Princess Myrcella, Prince Joffrey, and Prince Tommen.

Tommen giggled, and mimicked his bow, while Myrcella grinned, her cheeks growing red. Joffrey on the other hand had a very displeased look on his face.

"Will he be riding with us all the way to Winterfell mother?", he asked turning up his nose as if he smelled something foul, glaring in Lewyn's direction.

Cersei hesitated, her fake smile never faltering.

"No, my dear. He will not be riding with us at all". Joffrey looked pleased at that.

"Why can't cousin Lewyn ride with us?", Tommen suddenly whined.

"He'll be riding in the company of his fathers men", Oberyn spoke up.

"Ser Barristan?", Cersei suddenly asked. An awkward silence followed.

"Yes, your grace, Ser Barristan Selmy. As you know, your brother takes his sons safety very, very seriously. He wants to ensure the boy stays out of," Oberyn hesitated, as he began to form a sound much like "day-n", but he finished the sentence with "trouble", Cersei's smile grew.

"Well, let's hope all the little ones stay out of trouble", she said, shooting an adoring glance at Joffrey.

"Mother!", he now whined, and he turned away, storming off.

"If cousin Lewy can't ride with us, could I ride with him?", Tommen asked.

"No, we must stay together. We need to discuss a lot, my dear", she suddenly looked to Oberyn, "there is ever so much to be done". And then she too turned, placing her hands on Tommen's shoulders, and nudging him forward. Myrcella curtsied to Oberyn, holding her hands in front her shyly, and hurried off after her mother. 

Oberyn chuckled to himself. Lewyn gave up on trying to figure out what the adults were talking about. He didn't understand what was funny, or all the long pauses and hesitations.

"Come. Let's get you settled", and suddenly Lewyn became anxious. He didn't want to go if Oberyn wasn't.

"Are you sure you can't come?", he asked hopefully.

"I'm sure. Listen, you'll be back before you know it. And when you are, I'll teach you a new song", he said as he leaned over, putting himself at Lewyn's height.

"I'll practice while I'm gone", he said, smiling now.

"I hope you do", Oberyn responded, and then stood tall, looking around.

"Over here!", came a familiar voice, and Barristan Selmy came into view.

"This", Lewyn began, "this isn't a wheelhouse". And it truly wasn't. It was a small covered wagon being pulled by a duet of greyish garrons.

"No, my Lord it is not", Selmy spoke.

Lewyn suddenly wanted to turn back and run for his chambers. He no longer wanted to go on this bloody trip to Winterfell.  But before he new it, Oberyn was lifting him up into the wagon. There weren't even any steps. Just a a small wooden box, with a bench on each side. And on the outside, a filthy boy of possibly nineteen sat holding the reigns, a whip in hand.

"Behave yourself, Lewyn. And be careful", Oberyn said.

"I will", Lewy replied sadly.

"Enjoy yourself. Look," he pointed outwards, " you're going to see some of the world you've never seen. It's an adventure. And you can tell me all about it when you return", he smiled as he spoke.

"Alright. You're right. Goodbye Oberyn, I'll miss you".

"Not as much as I you. I'll see you again soon".

"Wait, Ser Barristan, you're not riding in here?", he asked as he saw Barristan's prized horse led up by a squire.

"No, my Lord, I'll be riding beside you", Barristan said as he mounted his horse.

"But, why?", he asked, but Barristan was already trotting ahead.

He looked to Oberyn then, but all he got back was "be careful", and then the wagon jerked forward.

He could always see Ser Barristan. The crowd around his wagon was massive, but Barristan stuck close. He wondered, why exactly a Kings Guardsman was guarding him. Or at least, it seemed like he was guarding him. But from what exactly?