21-Paisley Kinsmen

All I hear is the steady sound of a heart monitor. "Beep...beep...beep." I flutter my eyes open when curiosity got the best of me. Bad decision. My head started to pound in pain and I tried to wince, which made it worse. Everything. Burned.

Once my vision clears up a bit more I'm staring at a white ceiling. And I smell the sterile smell of way-too-cleanliness. I had to be in a hospital.

But why? How? What even happened? I try to search my memory but I can't. Everything is blank.

I attempt to turn my head to the side but I was restricted. Of course. A neck brace. How comfortable.

And let's not mention the bed. My spine felt like it was concaving into my intestinal organs with that hard of a bed. How could I have fallen asleep in this?

I see a face appear above me. It takes a while for me to make out who it is but I know exactly who it is. The greying blonde hair and poor excuse of a mustache, the stern eyebrows that always seemed to be giving off the impression of him being angry. Mr.Kinsmen. Also known as my father.

One thing that instantly popped into my head when I saw him was evil. I am not 100% sure why, but I stuck to my instincts. "Hi baby girl." He cooed. Even if he was my dad, it made me sick when he called me that. I tried my hardest to glare at him. I would rather anyone else visit me in my hospital room.

"Paisley do you remember what happened?" He asks concerned. I remember never hearing this side of him in ages. Mr.Kinsmen, actually worried about my health and well being. Alert the media because we have a miracle!

"If...it had...anything to...do with you....I....don't....want...to know." I struggle to get the words out. For some reason whatever I thought of would take even longer for me to say out loud. Not to mention how raspy my voice sounded.

"Paisley, darling..." He sighs. Darling? This accident must've really changed him. "Lorenzo lifted you and he dropped you on the floor. You're spine was completely out of its socket and you broke your neck. Not to mention the concussion you suffered. They performed emergency surgery on you and now you have to wait to heal." He explained way too quickly for me to completely process.

"So...I can't...dance...?" I ask. I knew for a fact back and neck injuries take the longest to recover from. I knew already I wouldn't be dancing soon enough.

"I'm afraid not, darling." He answers.

I was mad. Angry, frustrated, all the words in the English dictionary which represented complete and utter disappointment described how I was feeling. I did remember how the Rainbow Of Swans production was only months away. I was a lead swan. But no longer.

"This...is...your...fault." I bellow. He nods in agreement. Odd...

Then I see him tear up. "I'm so sorry Pais. I should've been a better father all of these years but I've been a shit of one." He explains. I'm not going to argue, but I do find it in my heart to lighten up a bit.

"I know you deserve a better father." He continues and completely breaks. My dad cries so loud I am afraid people on the next floor will hear. Sympathy...or at least I think it's sympathy...sets into my body.

"I...love...you..." I burst out. "I love you."

He looks up at me, shocked at what I said. Even if my dad could be a douche sometimes, he was my father. Always will be.

"Oh Paisley." He cooed and hugged me lightly so I wouldn't feel the pain, even if I knew he wanted to hug me tighter.

"I'm going to be a better dad, Pais. I promise you." My dad says into my shoulder and kisses my cheek.

Finally, a promise I can sense he won't break.