3-Paisley Kinsmen

I understand why my father would change our boring, old, annual Swan Lake ballet to something more exciting. For the past 25 years all the spring ballets that NYCBA has been doing was Swan Lake. It must get boring; same story line, same characters. But what I found was everyone snapping at him for changing our 'tradition'. It's not a tradition, nonetheless, it was our past choreographers not having any good ideas for new spring ballets.

What my father has planed was amazing, a great piece of work that will one day be recognized for its excellence. When more and more ballet companies copy his work, they'll all see.

One thing I do not like what my father did was place me as one of the 6 main swans. I want to shine by myself, not with 5 other girls. Why wouldn't he have casted me as the queen. I'm obviously fit to be the queen.

Well, at least father promised me a solo part out of all the swans. Right? (Which was after I bought him a case of his favourite beer at the liquor store across the street)

I head back up to my dorm. My father rented the 6 floors above our studio to be dorm rooms for the students, so we can stay here 24/7. Most of the older students, like me, live there. Sadly, there are too many of us to each have our own room, which means we have a roommate. Mine this year is Valentina. Mute little bitch.

Why do I hate Valentina, you ask? Well, long ago, Valentina just moved to NYCBA. She was just 8 years old. How sweet. She wasn't like the other new girls, falling out of their turns and not being able to learn the variations quickly. She was the petite Prima Ballerina of our class. Already knowing all of the grade 3 and 4 variations before my father even taught them "She's some kid!" "Look at her go!" "She's going to be amazing when she is older!" He would say to me, wanting me to try and out dance her. I should've been able to, I was 10 then! Longer legs, more precision, more training. How couldn't I?

As you may know it's very rare for my father to compliment other ballerinas on their dancing. But boy oh boy, he loved watching Valentina dance and praised her. She soon became his favourite of the class, even without announcing it. In her first year, her first year, she played the role of Aurora in Sleeping Beauty. She was 8. It still boggles my mind to this day. How can a fetus, play the main role, of the NYCBA Fall Production at 8 when the majority of the other dancers are over 14?

Where as I played a pixie fairy, in the shadows of Gabriella who played The Lilac Fairy. All of the pixie fairies were from the ages of 6-7 on average. Oh, how I hated my father so when he made me sauté and skip with the grade 1s. Which, a matter of fact, was all we did throughout our time onstage. Followed Gabriella around the room as she went en pointe and sprinkled purple fairy dust on Valentina. How fun.

It didn't stop there. When Valentina was 9 she played Hermia in A Midsummer's Night Dream with Lorenzo, who was Lysander. They fall in love in the ballet, by the way. Partner's in ballet since 2008. How cute *gags*. Yet another ballet meant for older dancers, but my father works through the cracks and makes it for 9 and 10 year olds. I danced as a tree nymph that year. You got it, a tree nymph. The most attractive name for a character, I know. Along with 25 other tree nymphs. That went wonderfully.

This list can go on and on until this past Fall when she was, guess who in Romeo and Juliet. And guess who was her Romeo? Exactly.

Valentina was always treated like a daughter by my father. The one thing I have that she doesn't is the same last name (which under my circumstances, is something I would never ever let my father do) Oh, and as well a voice.

When I get back up to my room, no surprise Lorenzo is there as well. They are both stretching their splits while watching soccer on our television. I scoff.

"In a bad mood Paisley? What a surprise." Lorenzo dead pans. I see Valentina smile at his sarcasm, while I narrow my eyes. "Valentina, why do you keep inviting this weasel into our dorm room?" I sigh.

"Weasel, that's a new one." Lorenzo laughs. I could've said dickhead. I should've said dickhead.

"Why are you watching soccer on television?" I ask, emphasizing the word 'soccer' in disgust. I'm not interested in anything but ballet. Especially a sport full of sweaty gym socks running around in the grass and kicking a cow ball.

"Maybe because we have a life outside of dance?" Lorenzo answers turning back to me, who was siting down on the couch with my phone.

"Whatever." I respond. Valentina rolls her eyes and they go back to the screen. "If you really want something fun to watch together, Redtube probably has you guys set." I snap. They turn their heads around quickly and give me disgusted looks. I smirk still looking at my phone.

"Just remember to wear a condom, Lorenzo."