Chapter 12: The Picnic

Start from the beginning

“Or… we could stay in bed…?” I smirked, lifting my head to kiss him.

After my shower I found Spike in the kitchen, looking in the fridge for something to eat.

“We might need to go to the store Ri.” He said as I looked over his shoulder into a practically empty fridge.

“Oh, yeah… that might be a good idea.”

He twisted around, grabbing my hand, and pressing a kiss to my knuckles

“Mhmm…” He said moving to kiss me.

“Hmm… we should really go. We don’t have anything to eat babe.” I said pulling away. “Come on.”

“Ugh.” He groaned as I tugged him to the front door.

“Come on!” I laughed, “Who’s driving?”

“I got it Ri.” He said taking the keys.

120 dollars later the fridge was stocked, and we were back at my house. We were sitting at the dining room table after lunch; Spike was filling out paperwork and doing something with his laptop and I was planning next year’s lessons when Spike’s cell phone rang.

“Hey Sarge. Mmmhmmm… Tomorrow? At the reservoir? Yeah we’ll be there.” He pulled the phone away from his ear and hung up,

“No shift tomorrow?”

“Nope. Team three is on call in the morning, and team two at night.”

“Ah, so what are we doing tomorrow?”

“Team One family picnic up at the reservoir.”

“Sounds like fun, Who’s going to be there?”

“Everyone” came the very vague reply.

I got up from my chair and walked so I was behind him. Leaning down, I draped my arms around him, resting my head on his shoulder.

“You’re being very vague.” I said, right as he closed a window he was looking at. “What are you looking at bud?”

“Nothing, just some crime scene photos. You don’t want to see them.”

I frowned, since when were crime scene photos on the web.

“Ok.”

He noticed my frown and poked my cheek, “It’s really nothing.”

“Okay. Want to watch a movie tonight?”

“Sure.”

    A few hours later I was done with my lessons but Spike had not yet finished whatever he was doing on the internet. Whenever I had tried to see what it was, he closed the window, pretending to be looking at photos from a crime scene. Finally he put the computer down and shot me a huge smile.

“Dinner?”

“Sure, what are you in the mood for?”

He continued to smile like a kid caught in a candy store, “Fettucine?”

I grinned, “yeah. Come help though.”

    He followed me into the kitchen, where I pulled the ham, peppers, onions, and broccoli from the fridge. I passed the vegetables and the meat over to him with a cutting board and a knife.

“Here, dice these.”

I found the flat pan I was looking for and then went to raid the spice cabinet. I also grabbed the cream, milk, and cheese from the fridge, setting everything I needed on the counter next to the stove. I started the water, lightly salting it before setting it to boil. Once Spike was done I swept the vegetables and meat into the pan, now covered in olive oil. Once the vegetables and meat had been sauteed I added the rest of the ingredients for the sauce, watching as Spike sat on the couch, leaning back and flipping through Netflix, trying to find something to watch. I finished the sauce, leaving in on a low heat as I waited for the pasta to finish.