Chapter 12: The Picnic

Start from the beginning

“Clark’s good. He’ll be a senior in college next year. I can’t even believe it. It seems like yesterday he was learning how to ride a bike.”

Shelley rubbed her back. “Come on, let’s watch the movie.”

    Although Shelley suggested we watch the movie, the quiet lasted less than ten minutes.

“So you’ve slept together right?”  Jules asked, everyone looked at her, not sure who she was asking, but when she turned to look directly at me, everyone started laughing while I blushed.

“Of course they have.” Winnie broke in, looking at Jules like she was crazy. “They’re living together.”

“Rian?”

“Yeah, we have.” I shifted uncomfortably, turning my attention back to the movie, trying to ignore the fact that everyone was watching me.

“And?” Winnie supplied,

“And it was great.”

“Just great.”

“What do you want me to say? That it was the best sex of my life?”

“Only if thats the truth?”

I shifted again, mumbling, “Itwasthebestsexofmylife.”

“What?” Winnie said, smiling viciously. I chucked a pillow at her head, hitting her square in the face,

“You heard me, IT WAS AMAZING.”

They all laughed at my outburst, continuing to tease me on and off through the remainder of the night. Leah was also a subject of teasing because of her new boyfriend, a club owner she knew from Haiti. We gossiped the whole night; the movies simply playing in the background as we laughed. We went through 4 movies and so much food before it was finally time to head back to our respective houses. Winnie divvied up the food, ensuring that we all took some of it home, as there was still too much of it leftover. We said our goodbyes around 2:40 AM, and left Winnie’s, all running to her car to get out of the rain, which was freezing cold. I was soaked by the time I got to my car.

    When I finally pulled up in front of the house, It was 3:00AM and all the lights, except the porch light and the front hall light were off. I sprinted to the front door, unlocking it as quietly as I could. I crept, shivering upstairs, where I stripped and toweled myself off, still unable to get rid of the chill of the rain. Sliding my pajamas on I crawled into bed, trying, and failing, not to wake Spike up. He shifted under the covers, turning around and facing me in the dark.

“You’re home.” he said, his voice thick with sleep.

“Yeah. I missed you.”

“I missed you too.” He murmured, his hands finding my waist, and pulling me closer. “You’re freezing.”

“It’s raining outside.”

“No umbrella?”

“Nope.”

I dragged my foot along his calf  before kissing him where I thought his mouth was. He let out shaky breath as I turned in his arms, drifting off to sleep.

“You ready for breakfast?” A voice asked in my ear.

“Hmm...” I rolled over in my bed, and glared at him. He was propped up on one elbow, looking slightly down at me. Instead of getting up, I rolled over, staring at the ceiling until suddenly, the ceiling was no longer in my line of sight. Spike had moved so fast I hadn’t even seen it coming. One minute he was next to me, the next, he was on top of me, his face inches from my own.