The man behind the bar looked up at me and smirked, then nodded his head. I looked away and started focusing more on the several games of poker being played by men that were in dire need of baths, with cigars hanging from their lips. There were also a few women who were wearing dresses that left them with no modesty at all. They were walking from table to table, flirting and flaunting their wiles in the disgusting men’s faces.

“Hey there little lady, haven’t seen you her before.” A voice boomed behind me and I jumped.

When I turned I had to look up and I met the most gorgeous gray eyes I had ever seen. I took a step back away from him, only to lose my footing and I started to fall. The awaited impact never came and I realized that I was wrapped up in the stranger’s strong yet gentle arms.

“Are you okay Miss?” He asked as he pulled me back up to my feet. He let go of me and stepped back.

I smoothed out my dress with my nervously shaking hand. “I… I… yes, I am fine, thank you for catching me sir.”

He chuckled at me. “Please call me Carter, sir was my father, and who might you be little Miss?”

Little Miss… little Miss, well I guess it is better than being called child. “My name is Lilly Morris and if you think that I am one of those saloon girls, you are sadly mistaken.” I said as I cocked my hip and rested a hand on it.

The man I now know as Carter laughed as me again. “No Miss, I think you have the wrong idea. I was sent here by Mr. and Mrs. Peterson to retrieve you. Their daughter May fell ill and could not come to get you themselves.”

My face flushed with embarrassment. He was being a nice guy and I all but accused him of thinking I was a saloon girl. “I’m sorry si… Carter. I think we may have gotten off on the wrong foot. It is already dark out, are we going to be able to see to make our way to my Aunt and Uncles?”

“Don’t worry about it Miss Morris, I know my way around these parts no matter how much light there is. Do you have any bags with you?”

I looked back at the doors to the saloon; the kind man still didn’t come back out. “The train station attendant has them locked in his office. I was not aware that anyone would be coming for me tonight, and I was going to be getting a room for the night.”

“I see.” He smirked. “Well, let me go talk to him about getting them, would you like to wait here or in the buggy?” I looked over his shoulder and saw a small buggy with a tall black horse harnessed to it.

“I will wait here.” I answered as I bowed my head down.

Carter went into the saloon and weaved his way through the jumble of drunken men and easy women. After a moment of talking with the train man, Carter came back out.

“I have his keys, I have a feeling that he would not be of any help.” He held the small ring of keys up and jangled them.

I glanced back inside the saloon and saw the man downing a shot of what appeared to be whiskey. Turning back around, I caught site of Carter untying the horse from the hitch post and started walking back towards the train depot. Not wanting to get too close to the horse, I walked behind the buggy.