The sound of Max’s voice shook me out of my trance. “Speaking of the devil…,” he said looking over my shoulder.

I turned my head and saw Oliver coming towards our table. I couldn’t help but smile, he was as good looking as always. He’s tall, like 5’9, has brown hair, and brown eyes and is thin, but not too thin - he has muscles, just isn’t as big as some football players.

“He’s hot!” Roxie whispered. Leah nodded her head in agreement and Max rolled his eyes.

“Hey Babe,” Oliver said and sat beside me. He gave me a quick peck on the lips and took my hand in his.

“Hey.” It was all I managed to say while stared at him. Yeah, I know. As you may have noticed, I act like a complete idiot when I’m around him. But hey, it can’t be that bad, I’m already going out with him, right?

“So… what are you two doing after school?” Roxie asked.

“I’ve already told you, we are going to watch a movie,” I said with annoyance in my voice. Why do I need to keep repeating myself?

“Geez, girl. I was just trying to make some conversation, considering someone” – she said moving her chin towards me – “seemed to be daydreaming.” Everybody started to laugh, even Oliver. I blushed.

Once Roxie saw my anger, she laughed even harder. Oh, I could kill her right now, but the bell rang and we had to leave the cafeteria.

Oliver walked me to my next class. I decided it was better to say something and try not to make things worse. 

“So… everything’s settled for later?”

“Yeah, of course. I’ll wait for you at the parking lot,” he said and smiled at me.

“Okay.” I tiptoed and gave him a kiss. After we pulled away, we smiled to each other one more time and I took my seat.

It was a math class and none of my friends were in it, so I just walked in and sat in some random chair. Differently from most of the students, I don’t hate Math. I don’t love it either, but I can take it pretty well, so the time went by easily.

Soon enough it was over. The next class was PE and this time Leah was there with me.

“Hello girl, ready to get physical?” She asked me while doing some funny movements pretending to be exercising.

“Can’t wait,” I answered sarcastically.

We spent the hour together, just like we do every day. It was always like this from the time we met – like a hundred years ago. We’ve been friends since kindergarten and the fact that she is my next door neighbor just makes things easier. We spend so much time together that we are like sisters, well… maybe even closer than that, because I know a lot of siblings who fight all the time. Even Leah has her moments with her brother, Adrian. Sometimes they keep fighting for hours. Gosh, even I lose my patience with him sometimes. He’s in college, but sometimes it seems like he’s five, annoying the hell out of us. He can be so irritating!

Anyway, Leah and I are inseparable. She knows every single detail of my life, as I know of hers. We can spend a whole night talking without getting bored. It’s a very comforting feeling, to know that there’s someone who trusts you so much and that will be there for you if you need as well.

I tried to do all the exercising we were supposed to do, but Coach Carlson didn’t make it easy. He didn’t even let us catch a breath. I swear I don’t know how I managed not to fall on the floor from the lack of oxygen.

When I thought my legs would give up on me, the last bell rang. I suddenly remembered that Oliver would be waiting for me. Note to self: don’t be stupid this time!