Chapter Four

~Althea

"Today was...fun," Cyrus breathed gently in my ear, before moving down to lay his lips on mine. I kissed him back, mirroring his actions. Lunch couldn't have gone any better. I had learnt so much more about Cyrus; how he works, his interests and disinterests.

Everything about him was almost perfect. He was courteous, sweet, kind and smart, but there was something about him that didn't fit me, that didn't seem like my mate material.

"We should do it again," I offer, pulling away to smile at him. He smiles back, his lips finding mine again. I tangle my fingers through his thick black hair. His tender approach to loving was an attractive trait for him to have, making it easier to along with, but harder to resist.

After our seemingly successful date, we had walked back hand and hand through the haze of the setting sun. It was rather sweet of Cyrus to walk me to my door.

Suddenly the door pops open, making Cyrus pull away from me in a fright, smooth his shirt out and fold his hands together. I glare toward the door, immediately expecting Dad.

He's happy about Cyrus and I, obviously. But any chance for him weasel his way into our relationship and make sure everything goes to plan would be taken. He probably saw us walk up the driveway and was ready to jump in at the right moment.
But there stood Landon. Hair slicked back neatly, dressed to impress, and he even smelt as irresistible as he looks; like spice and roses. I'm briefly taken aback by him.

Last time I laid eyes on him in my house, he was being chased out the door by my father who welded a wooden spoon. Now there was no incriminating man beside him, bashing him over the head.

He was glaring at Cyrus with some unknown emotion swirling in his light brown eyes. His fists we clenched, and he seemed to look more intimidating with every breath of a moment that past.

"Landon?" His name comes out of my mouth before I can stop it. No matter how hard we had tried to convince my father in the the past, he would not be swayed on his views about Landon.

"What are you doing here?" I question, gazing at him. He draws his eyes off Cyrus, who fidgets nervously. I take his hand before I can think, enclosing my fingers around his palm.

Suddenly my father appears behind Landon, a massive smile on his face. He surges past him, engulfing Cyrus in a semblance of a manly hug, giving him friendly slap on the back. I roll my eyes. It's like father is dating him not me. I still don't understand what or how he came to meet Cyrus in the first place. Although apparently he's my father's workmates son.

If that makes sense.

"Nice to see you. Staying for dinner?" dad asks Cyrus. I can see in his eyes that father desperately wants Cyrus to stay, so he can question him about our date, because he knows I'll be reluctant to tell him. Cyrus sighs.

"Sorry Sir, I've got to make dinner for my mother tonight. Thanks for the offer," Cyrus excuses himself politely. Dad looks ultimately disappointed, but doesn't say anything. Cyrus kisses my forehead gently, then leans in whisper in my ear.

"Don't let Landon get to you," he says so quietly, I almost didn't quite catch it. I glance at him pull away in confusion. Get to me? Cyrus squeezes my hand, winks and walks off down the path. We all watch him go. I glance at Landon quickly, hoping he hadn't heard what Cyrus had just said. Not that I knew exactly what he was talking about.

"Well come on in Althea, Landon is staying for dinner," Dad says with excitement. I blink. Am I hearing right? I follow them inside, ready to question them profusely. I had to know exactly what Landon had said or done to convince my father.