Chapter Three

~Althea

I sit, the long grass surrounding me. I run my fingers through it, my eyes gazing out across the extensive space, looking for him. I've never felt so lonely in my life, as I sit here, wondering what I had done. An anger inside of me is brewing, and a kind of disappointment. I thought he was supposed to be my best friend...

This is the fifth morning since Landon's birthday, and not once have I seen him. We are supposed to meet here every morning, but I guess he has bigger priorities. He promised, which was the worst thing for my feelings. He said that we were supposed to meet here as long as we were friends.

I don't know what has empowered me to continue coming here, to wait for him. Obviously I'm beyond livid, and I guess I just want to give him one last piece of my mind. If only he would show up so I could do exactly that...

Suddenly a figure appears across the meadow. I watch Landon, step over the fence wires with ease. Only around a week ago, he struggled to pull his legs over. A part of me is happy he's changed. For his sake, I mean. Sure, any girl cannot help being attracted to him, I mean he's an Alpha.

I blandly watch him stride over, a look of angst on his face. He really has changed. He's so much bigger now, more intimidating. With every step he takes in my direction, my mouth begins to dry, and I wonder how I'm going to approach this subject. His long legs eat up the distance between us quickly.

Conversation usually flows with ease between us, but now it's like a handsome stranger is approaching me, and I'm a nervous wreck. I look away from him, staring out across the expanse of the field. I hear his footsteps trample the soft grass.

Without a word, he takes a seat beside me.

"It's been awhile," I start. My feelings are under control, but my voice is still a little shaky. It's the symptoms of keeping anger inside me, ready to burst out when least expected. Landon sighs audibly, then gently takes my hand.

I jump a little, startled by his gesture. I glance at him, to see him smiling at me softly. I shake my head an tear my eyes away.

"Would you like to know why I've been away?" He asks. I'm wary, and I know he's going to jump to some story that he believes will fix our friendship. He's done it before...I've always forgave him because I've been afraid he would leave me, and our friendship would be no more.

I shrug in response.

"I'm sorry I never told you, but I guessed you would understand...I went to the Alpha Meeting!"

Silence.

His mouth is split into a big grin, showing off his dazzling set of teeth. He's proud, and I don't blame him. Being able to meet all the Alpha is something anyone would want. But yes, he should have told me.

"That's great Landon," I mutter, forcing my lips to quirk up in a resemblance of a smile. He let go of my hand, and the absence is slightly depressing.

"Alpha Dallas is as intimating as they say, and Alpha Kaden is scary as hell," he rambles. Both are leaders of well known packs. I nod along, barely listening. I just stare into his eyes, enjoying the spark of enjoyment in them. He's just that much cuter when he smiles. It reminds me of our childhood together.

"Look Landon, I've got to go," I interrupt him. He pauses, mid sentence. His hair flies wildly around his forehead, his eyes peeking through the thin strands.

"We just got here," he says, his voice full of utter confusion. He should have made it here quicker considering the size of his legs. The fact that he didn't make me his main priority upsets me. Sure, I should be grateful for his presence, but he's my best friend.