*

As the band started playing "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong, the Captain turned to Peggy. He couldn't help but smile like a fool when he looked at her. Her eyes flickered over to him and she grinned back at him. That grin changed quite suddenly to a more serious face as her lips pursed and her eyes filled with worry and concern.

"How are you?" She asked.

Steve knew what she was asking behind that question, but he didn't want to talk about it yet, not here. He looked away from her and across the dance floor at the happy couples.

"I've been worse," he replied quietly.

"Steve, you know you can talk to me."

He knew she was still looking at him, he could feel her eyes watching him, but he couldn't bring himself to look back.

He should tell her. He should tell her how he thinks he's going crazy and how he doesn't know how to deal with what happened, but he just can't. The middle of Murphy's in a busy Friday night was neither the time, nor the place. Steve felt her hand on his arm. Her looked down at her hand before reluctantly meeting her gaze.

"What's wrong?"

"Well, I just got beat up and nearly killed by some punk who died over two years ago and I think I'm going crazy. Say! Did I mention that it was my best friend?" Steve thought to himself.

He took a deep breathing, looking down at his beer bottle and began picking at the label. He quickly came up with something else to say. Not to lie, but to just tell a half-truth.

"It's nothing. It's just the mission reminded me a lot of the war," he said, still not meeting her gaze, hoping that that would be the end of the conversation.

"Alright," she said quietly, removing her hand from his arm.

After a few moments of silence apart from the band, Steve set down his beer bottle. He decided that a dance with Peggy was well overdue and that needed fixing.

He stood up, moving over to her and held out his hand.

"Shall we dance?" He asked, grinning down at her.

She didn't move at first. She stayed where she was and looked at him.

"I don't know, Steve."

"Come on, Peg. I owe you a dance, remember?"

Peggy bit her lip, causing Steve's heart to jolt. He wanted to kiss her right then, to stop her from driving him crazy as she bit her lip, but knew where the line stopped and it was way before that.

She looked at the dance floor and then back to Steve before jumping up and taking Steve's hand.

"Alright," she said, smiling broadly up at him, causing him to smile goofily back.

Steve led Peggy to the dance floor, where she taught him some basic moves as "In the Mood" by Glenn Miller started playing. After a few stumbles, Steve and Peggy laughed at Steve, before laughing at themselves laughing. While everyone else kept dancing around them, Steve clutched at his sides trying to catch his breath as Peggy wiped away tears of laughter.

As the band started playing "Sing, Sing, Sing" by Benny Goodman, they tried again. This time, Steve felt more confident and threw in some moves that both Bucky and Howard had taught him on separate occasions. One of these occasions had taken up most of Steve's day before he collected Peggy. Of course, this was unknown to everyone apart from them, but Steve couldn't have gone dancing with Peggy and not be able to sweep her off her feet.