Electrifying- Gravity Defying

My arm slammed down on my alarm clock and cursed loudly. I had forgotten to turn the alarm off the night before, so it woke me up at the time I would usually get up for school.

 I was pretty angry. My first proper lazy day, and I had woken at 6:15. Is there anything worse than waking up for school when you don’t even have to? I pulled the pale pink covers over my head, groaning, because I knew I’d never get back to sleep now. My mom would already be at work; she left at 5am. It was just me, alone here, for at least twelve hours.

This is why I went through books so quickly.

I got out of my warm bed in defeat and started to make my way downstairs for breakfast. I had my eyes half open, still unwilling to admit I was awake this early on a holiday. My limbs were sleepy and uncoordinated, and I wasn’t paying much attention. These things combined, were the reason that my arm came into contact with something as I passed my dresser.

I spun around quickly; my eyes fully open now, and had just enough time to register my china doll falling fast towards the wooden floor. I gasped in horror. My daddy had given me that, when I was six years old. I loved her so much, and she was my most treasured possession. I even used to wish I looked like her, with her perfect porcelain face and flawless blond ringlets. I loved her so much that even as a child I couldn’t bear to play with her, instead only using her as a guest of honour at my tea parties. She was the last present my daddy ever gave me.

I felt the tears welling as I prepared for the smash- the smash that never came.

I watched through squinting eyes as the doll stopped, ten centimetres from the floor, hovering; then watched as it slowly lowered to the floor, unharmed.

I couldn’t bring myself to exhale with relief. The weirdness of the situation was too much, and it had me instinctively on guard.

That wasn’t adrenaline or any other scientific crap. My doll had stopped falling, by itself. I’d been watching, and nothing had touched it. It stopped in mid air. I was fiercely grateful to whatever force had saved it. I would’ve cried for days if she’d broken.

I gasped loudly as I had my moment of realisation.  My wide eyes dropped to my hands and I stared at them, expecting some kind of noticeable difference. I saw none, but still searched each crease and line; inspecting every fingernail, waiting.

I rushed out of my room and down the stairs, almost falling down them in my haste.

I pointed my hands at the phone, waiting for it to ring. When it didn’t I moved on to the set of keys on the table, waiting for them to move. I wasn’t disheartened by their lack of movement, deciding to simulate what had just happened. I grabbed a book from the shelf in the living room, dropping it and flinging my hands towards it. It hit the floor with a thud.

I sighed, but figured that it wasn’t like the movies. They were triggered by a strong emotional reaction. My superpowers would have to be worked on.

But I had superpowers. ME.

“I, KIWI ROGERS” (Yes my name is Kiwi, it’s my mom’s favourite fruit and my dad was from New Zealand, ok?) “HAVE SUPERPOWERS!” I squealed excitedly, jumping round the room. I stopped and ran to the bathroom, humming excitedly. I decided that my first day as a superhero should begin with a shower.

My task for today would be deciding on a name, and if I finished ahead of time, I’d design a costume.

I sang happily in the shower, washing my hair with my favourite shampoo, all the while turning over different names in my head. I liked Electrick, because people could shout "She's electrifying, Gravity Defying!" I giggled at my lame title, dismissing it. I realised soon enough that it would help if I could actually label my powers. I gave my hair a final rinse and pulled back the thick shower door and grabbed my towel. I walked over to the steamed up mirror, about to wipe it, and froze.

There were words written in the steam. A message- written in the steam.

‘Sorry, you don’t have superpowers ;) ’