It’s started!” I roared into the earpiece, hissing as a bullet grazed my arm. I shot another arrow, hitting her in the upper thigh. It almost looked like she stuck her leg in the path of the weapon... The woman screeched, gun clattering to the floor as the arrow head tore through the delicate muscle. She continued to grip the vial, her glare venomous enough to kill. 

“Melody? Melody this is unauthorized! Bring back the solution!” a crackling voice shouted, and I realized it was coming from her own earpiece. 

“I–” she began, but I let loose the killing blow, an arrow notching itself within her heart. She sputtered, eyes rolling back, the small glass bottle rolling from her fingers. She gulped in mouthfuls of air, and I knew I must have hit a lung instead. 

I got up to finish the job when an earth shattering boom erupted through the compound, my earpiece going haywire as chaos broke out. My eyes widened in horror as I heard Natasha shrieking, nearly drowned out by dozens of gunshots that could be coming from either side. 

A laugh broke me out of my horror.

The woman still lying on the floor, a trail of blood spilling from the side of her mouth, staining her pearly whites red. It had been almost too easy to kill her... I thought these people were trained. 

“I was...wa- was suppose-osed to give y-you a mess-essage,” she gasped out, her icy smile burning itself a permanent spot in my memory. 

I glanced once more at the door Calypso sat behind, grateful that she hadn’t come out to investigate. 

“What?” I snapped, keeping my distance. 

“You y-you’re all g-going to di-die,” she cackled, hand limply smacking the ground below her.  A craziness stirred in her green eyes, intermingling with the rage there. “J-just like them.”

I kneeled beside her, a good five feet away. “We’re not,” I said, more determined than I’d ever been. 

“I-I’m a little dec-decoy,” she gurgled, pointing towards her chest, “and I can- can’t escape either!”  She was an absolute lunatic. 

“Thor!” I shouted into the earpiece, relieved when he said he was no more than two corridors away. I looked down when the woman's nails grazed my sneaker as she tried to get my attention. The puddle beneath her had grown larger, and I had no doubt that she’d be dead within the next minute. 

“D-don’t let her-r dri-drink th-is,” the woman breathed, gesturing toward the vile. A wave of confusion swept over me as I noticed the regret and brief saneness entering her expression. “It- it’ll take her bend-bending aw-way. Pl-please. I- I doom-med them. Me. Don’t let me d-do it ag-again.”  

And with those words, her chest stilled, head drooping and body going limp. 

“You killed her,” a voice stated from behind me, and I whirled to face a shocked Calypso as she stared at the body by my feet. “You killed Melody.”

I hurriedly tried to block the woman from her prying eyes, accidentally crushing the vial beneath my boot. Well, whatever it was it was useless now. 

“My lady! What are you doing out of the safe room!?” Thor boomed, stumbling upon the gory seen. 

She waved him away, walking and crouching beside the blonde woman. She stared at her for a few moments, then at the vial, then the gun, then her glassy eyes. Then she stood, and came to stand beside me, something changing within her.  

“I need to help. You’re my family now. I can’t sit on the sidelines,” she exclaimed, more resolute than I’d ever seen her. 

“But–”