Chapter 9: His First Compromise

Start from the beginning

"Don't patronize me." I snapped.

"It may not mean anything to you, but it means a lot to me." I said.

When he started to shake his head and say something I cut him off.

"That's my deal Nathan. Take it or leave it."

We glared at each other for thirty seconds, before I let out a breath and spoke again.

"Please? It makes me feel like I'm one of those girls who is after your money and doesn't care how much you pay or who you pay to see me. It sucks that you have to pay at all. But that's how it is and I have to face that. But I'm not that girl, and I don't like feeling that way." I said.

His jaw was clenched and his glare was dark. "You're nothing like that, so you shouldn't feel that way."

I let out a breath, not wanting to do this in the corridor. I knew that Sara wasn't back and probably would be MIA for the whole night.

"Why don't you come in? I don't want you to get caught." I murmured.

He was looking away, seemingly deep in thought.

"Nathan?" I murmured, opening the door and cocking my head to the side, indicating that he should enter.

He looked at me, sighed and walked into the room.

He was running his hands through his hair, something I realized he did when he wanted to say something, but doesn't want to reveal too much.

Walking upto my mate after shutting the door behind me, I placed my palms against his cheek.

"Please? For me?" I asked.

He let out an angry breath.

"I'm not going to let you pay for me just to come and see you. I like being with you and I enjoy spending time with you." he gritted out.

"Isn't that exactly how I'm feeling? So it's okay for you to feel that way, but not me?" I ask, scrunching my eyebrows at him.

"Don't be unreasonable." he snapped.

"Oh, I'm being yourself unreasonable? That's rich." I said.

"Don't." he said. "Stop fighting with me for no reason.

"We wouldn't be, if you would just give in." I said.

"Why don't you give in?" he challenged.

My hands were fisted at my side and my legs were spread apart. Funnily enough, his stance mirrored mine.

"Why should I?" I asked, and my anger crackled in the air.

"And why should I?"

"Because I'm asking you to imagine what I'd feel like when you're treating me like-" I stopped myself from continuing.

"Like what?" he asked, his green eyes were glowing again, daring me to say what's on my mind.

"Like someone who's lesser than you, and doesn't deserve to be your equal." I said.

Nathan's eyes widened. He dropped his stance, and took two long strides to me, enveloping me in his arms. I went willingly, melting in the comfort his touch brought.

But the fight was still on, and I sure as hell wasn't backing down.

"Oh, baby." he murmured into my hair "Never say that. You're so much more than me. I've never treated you like you were lesser. And I never will. You're perfect for me. Never lesser."

"Then prove it. Let me pay half of the cost."

He let out a huff of laughter.

"I should have seen that one coming." he said.