By now she could hear the rhythmic beat of hooves close to the shack, so she went out onto the stoop to meet her visitor.

‘Afternoon, Millie. Didn't figure I'd catch you afore you left for Pebble Creek. But I rode out anyway.’

Ben Gibson removed his hat, wiping away the band of sweat on his craggy forehead with the sleeve of his shirt. He had to duck his head as he followed Millie through the shack's doorway.

‘Afternoon,’ Millie replied shortly.

She did not welcome visitors. She could not bear to see what she thought was pity in their eyes. In the past five years few had ventured out more than once to her place. Ben was the exception. She had grown more or less used to him. He stood near the door now, hat in hand; a big, slow, careful man, not pushy like some.

She put two tin mugs on the table, and then poured out the thick, dark brew, motioning him to sit. Ben drew up a chair, picked up the mug and sipped the hot liquid.

‘I don't aim to keep you from your business,’ he said, ‘but I got some news.’

‘My horse died yesterday,’ Millie said flatly, ‘so I guess I don't have a business anymore.’

Immediately the words were out, she was sorry she had spoken. It sounded as though she were asking for help. Her stubborn pride would never let her do that.

‘I'm sorry,’ Ben said quietly, ‘but maybe it don't matter none, not now.’

Surprised at his words and tone, she looked at him sharply. He seemed uneasy with her today. There was tightness in the skin around his mouth, and a strained look around his eyes.

‘What is it?’ she asked. Suddenly she felt uneasy too.

‘Jake is back.’

She felt his words like a blow in the chest. Her breath expelled noisily through her teeth, and then she opened her mouth wide to gasp for air. A sudden dizziness made her grip the edge of the table with both hands.

‘Jake is back!’

She let out a long sigh. The lonely vigil was over at last. She could hardly believe it. She had prayed so long and so hard, and now it was true. Shakily, she reached for the only other chair and sat.

‘And Marianne, my daughter? Is she with him?’

Ben nodded.

Millie looked eagerly at him, a new light in her eyes.

‘How does she look? Is she well? She was fifteen last month, you know? But why didn't they come straight home?’ She smiled suddenly, a rare sight. ‘Jake sent you out to break the news; to ease the shock?’

‘Marianne is looking real fine,’ Ben said quickly, too quickly. ‘She is growing into a little beauty. Why, I reckon as you'd hardly know...’

He broke off in confusion, avoiding her eyes. After a moment of barbed silence Millie said quietly.

‘Why did you come out here, Ben?’

Ben wiped the sweat from his face with his sleeve again. His continued silence frightened her.

‘I want to see her,’ Millie's voice sharpened. ‘I want to see my little girl.’

‘Now, Millie, you just hold on a minute,’ Ben held up a large hand. ‘Jake has changed like you wouldn't know him. He's got money aplenty now. He's got big plans, too,’ He shook his head. ‘And, Millie - you just don't figure in them.’

In the dry heat of the day she felt a chill. So, her agony was not over yet. Maybe it was just beginning.

‘He stole my child,’ she shrilled. ‘And he shamed me; running off with that painted hussy.’