I nodded softly, understanding the meaning. If more people start getting sick, we could have a real situation on our hands, especially given how they aren't sure what the medicine is that will help with the problem.

Doctor Venson gave us all instructions on how we could help, Sam was to be helping Doctor Venson take data and symptoms, and then pour over some medical books in hopes of finding something that fit what these people had, while Beck and I were just tending to the patients and making sure they were okay.

For the first hour or so Beck and I simply cleaned up and tidied, but as soon as the sun started to lighten up the skies, one of the patients, a woman with frizzy blonde hair and dimples, woke up and immediately started complaining of her stomach, and then promptly threw up all over herself and her bedding.

Beck sighed and walked over, "Don't worry Kodi, I've got it," he said, catching my eye.

It was probably for the best because a couple of moments later a man who looked to be in his early thirties woke up and started demanding that he see his wife. I had to calm him down, which took a good forty minutes, and a threat from Beck after the guy grabbed onto my arm in an attempt to get my attention. But by the time he was quietly sulking in his bed, the other people had woken up. I learned that the lady who had puked was named Marty, and she had a cat who was named Mister Floftkin. The man who so desperately wanted to see his wife was Arnie, he had apologized and then while Beck was away spraying the soiled bedding of Marty's, he told me that his wife had died and sometimes he dreams about her, and wakes up thinking she might still be able to be saved.

There was also a little boy, no older than eight who didn't speak, though Marty told me his name was Jamie. He had messy black hair and glasses, and he never seemed to let go of his toy dinosaur. The other two patients were Kyla, and Eddy, they kept to themselves mostly.

Around 11 ish, Doctor Venson and Sam came into the infirmary and took what vitals they were able, before checking for any new symptoms. Beck had come back in and was now helping Marty by dipping and wringing out a rag so that she could at least wipe herself somewhat clean.

Sam stood next to Jamie, who looked up at him as if he were a hero.

"Kodi, can you come here a second?" he asked, and I stood up from my stool, making my way past Arnie who gave me a smile.

I looked at Sam expectantly after giving Jamie a tiny wave, "Yeah?"

Sam ran his fingers through his hair and then crossed his arms, much like Doctor Venson had done earlier, he nodded for me to follow him and so I stepped outside the makeshift infirmary. We walked a little bit away from it so that our voices wouldn't carry.

"Jamie is one of the furthest along, Doctor Venson thinks he knows what's wrong with them, but he isn't certain," there was a pause as he collected his thoughts, "I don't think Jamie will make it much longer, but we have to be certain we know what it is before we try to treat him, or any of the others. The wrong treatment could cause further problems, and we can't afford something like that."

I let his words roll around in my head, and instead of pestering him with questions that I'm not sure he'd know the answer to, I instead went with the words I knew would at least lift some of the weight that seemed to be weighing him down, "What can I do to help?" I asked.

Sam smiled, "I was thinking maybe you and Beck could go down to the food supply room, and maybe get enough stuff to make a nice pot of chicken soup? Beck's made it before but if you can get Cody to help you, that would just be awesome." he fixed his warm laughter filled eyes on me.

I gave a salute, "Yes Sir, Sam Sir."

He rolled his eyes and shook his head, "Come on, Sunshine, let's get a move on," he said, and together we walked back into the infirmary.