Chapter 40

Chapter dedicated to spring_grrl for her lovely comment <3 Thank you so much for enjoying MUL :D

"What do you mean, she's gone?"

"Exactly what I meant!" he shouted, clutching onto Velvet's tiny body. "She's gone—oh God, she's gone!" he yelled frantically, drawing hush whispers from lingering customers. "W-what am I going to do?" My head spun back to him. "What if he got her? What if I'm too late? What if she's dead—"

"Ian. You need to calm down."

"Calm down?" Ian barked a laugh. "I can't fucking calm down. My sister is missing! Don't you dare tell me to—"

"Listen, Ian." I slowly approached him, eyeing Velvet warily. "You're scaring Velvet." He paused, staring down at her wide eyes filled with panic. He visibly flinched, as she furiously dug her claws into his bare arms.

"I-I didn't mean to," he spoke slowly, running his hands through her fur. She squirmed in his grasp, thrashing her hind legs. "Shh, it's okay Velvet," Ian said quietly, setting her back down. "You're safe." He watched her for a second, making sure she was okay, before turning his attention back to me. "We need to call the police."

"Ian. What exactly happened?"

He closed his eyes, sighing. "Her friend just called." He swallowed, taking a deep breath. "She told me Ashleigh went to the bathroom, and never came back."

"Maybe she's still there—"

"—they checked and there was no signs of her."

"She probably went to talk to a teacher or something," I suggested. "It could be anything, Ian. Don't jump to conclusions just yet—"

"Yeah, Ian," Megan agreed with me, nodding her head. "She's right, you know. Your sister—"

"—shut up!" Megan flinched at his tone. "I'm not jumping to conclusions! Her friends already called her cellphone, and she didn't picked up! Ashleigh never does that! She always has her cellphone on. Even if she misses a call, she'll call back within minutes. And she didn't."

"Maybe her cellphone ran out of batteries—"

"—no!" Ian yelled, cutting the rest of my sentence off. "Something's wrong, Avery. I know it. Call it siblings' intuitions or whatever you want to, but I know my sister's in trouble. Now, if you'll excuse me, Ashleigh needs me. I really can't afford to waste anymore time here." He lightly brushed past me, hitting my shoulder in the process.

"Wait!" I grabbed his wrist, halting him in his steps.

He slowly turned around, and glanced at the hand placed on his wrist. His brows furrowed together. "Avery, let go."

"No. I'm going with you."

"If Avery's going, I'm coming with," Megan said, running over to us. "I can't let you have all the fun." She laughed, winking at me.

"I don't think that's a very good idea—" Ian started muttering before Hunter cut in.

"—Ian's right. I don't know about you guys, but lunch ends in twenty minutes, and I'm definitely not skipping sixth period."

"Don't you have Music Theory during sixth period?" Megan questioned.

He nodded. "Exactly why I can't skip it."

Megan softly giggled. "Don't worry. Like I said earlier, with my help you'll ace that class like a breeze."

I raised my brows at them. "Help?"