chapter 1

Kaylee's POV**

I hate school. I really do. It's my last year at Nashville and I am so ready to get it over with. I don't have many friends because I don't fool with too many people. I have two best friends that I am perfectly content with named Matt and Alanna. Matt is average height around 5'7 with wavy brown hair and brown eyes. He's fit and tan, and plays on the school soccer team.

Alanna was 5'5 and has beautiful red hair with green eyes, pale skin, and a face full of freckles. She's the loudest one out of all of us and is definitely a go getter. I on the other hand am not. I am small standing at 5'2. I have dark brown skin and a head full of natural curly hair. I know I'm not attractive and I know I'd probably never find a mate, but I'm starting to accept that it's just who I am and I can't do anything about it. "We will have a mate. Have some faith kaylee." My wolf Lola growled. She doesn't like me saying that we won't find a mate.

It is the end of November and I am already sick of school. I get up and get dressed in my yoga pants, white t-shirt and my brown UGG boots. I brush my teeth and wash my face before taking out my braids so my hair would be wavy. Before leaving out of the house I throw on a blue and white scarf because it's my favorite one. I pick up my keys and a banana from the kitchen before heading to my car. I have a white Kia Sportage and I love it.

My family definitely has money since my parents are the owners of an expensive clothes and jewelry line, but I like to keep it plain and simple. My parents are workaholics so I haven't seen them in weeks. They always take long "business vacations" but I know that they just don't want to be around me.

Before I left I made sure to put my banana in my calorie counter app since I'm on a diet. Pulling up to this dreadful school and thinking about what today could bring made me get a headache. I grab my water bottle and some aspirin before walking inside.

Walking to my locker I make sure to keep my eyes down and walk quickly to avoid any unnecessary conversation with anyone. Usually Matt and Alanna would be standing at our lockers but I guess I was a bit early.

I decide to eat my banana and drink my water until they came. Finishing my breakfast I go to throw the peel away, and notice my friends coming through the double doors. Thank god. Practically running over to our lockers I greet them.

"What up buttercup?!" I yelled before hugging Alanna.

"Hey sweet thing." She replied hugging back.

"Nice to see you stud muffin." I grinned while pulling Matt into a hug.

"Goodmorning to you too little lady." He replied in a cute country accent before winking at me.

"That accent was horrible and I hope you never do it again" Alanna scoffed.

"Well someone woke up on the wrong side of their cage didn't they?" He grumbled. She glared at him long and hard not having a comeback. The two of them ended up in a staring match.

"Alright you two cut it out. Matt your accent was cute and Alanna you woke up on the right side of your cage now please." I said trying to contain my laughter. Matt on the other hand started cracking up and smacking the locker trying to stop laughing. Alanna shot me a look so hard I would have been dead if her eyes were a weapon.

"You're only taking his side 'cause you like him." She mumbled and I elbowed her in her side, grateful that Matt was still laughing. But it was true, I did have a crush on Matt. I wouldn't have even had a sliver of a crush on him if I knew that Alanna liked him, there would have been no competition because she would have already won. The only reason I even let myself catch the little bit of feelings that I have for him, is because she's gay.

Her mate was a pretty girl named Chelsea and she was a petite girl with long blonde hair and light blue eyes. She was so pretty and so skinny. What I would do to be her size and have her natural beauty. She was at least a perfect size 3 and I on the other hand was a whopping size 8.

Matt and I didn't have mates even though we are both 18, well now I am anyway. Today is my birthday and hopefully tonight Matt and Alanna will have a sleepover at my house, and we could watch movies and make brownies or something. I turned to ask them about tonight.

"Hey guy's wanna come over tonight and have a sleepover or something?

"Well duh. We come over practically every weekend I have my clothes already in the car so I can come over straight away." Alanna replied.

"I do too but I have to go pick up your present so I'll be there a little later." He said

"Sounds good well i'll see you guys later." I waved them goodbye and headed off to class.

My first class was AP Spanish with señora Pití. I was ace at spanish so it was a breeze. "Good morning Mrs. Pití." I called to her.

"Buenos Dias Kaylee." She replied. I love her, she's such a great teacher.

Class ended faster than I expected and I sped out of the classroom to get to Honors Biology only to run into no other than Tiffany. She was the school slut and I hated her with a growing passion. Me and Tiffany used to be best friends until she became the whore that she is. She was sweet and caring until she started hanging out with the "cool kids" here at school. The cool kids were a bunch of asshole jocks and bitchy cheerleaders who always get their way because their daddy said so. She's the reason I'm the person I am today. She betrayed me by replacing me with all the people we both used to hate. She's done horrible, unspeakable, things to me and I hate her for it.

"Move bitch. Your fat ass is always in the way." She rolled her eyes, pushing me out of the way into a corner before switching away in her stiletto heels. The old me would have told her off and embarrassed her but my obedience is the quid pro quo for her not to expose my secrets. Her stupid group of friends laugh and call me names, making a scene for everyone else before walking away with her. Slowly extracting myself from the corner, I started to walk towards my next class keeping my gaze down away from the crowd.

Walking into biology I greeted Mr. Sneeringer and made my way to my seat not making eye contact with anyone. Today we were starting our labs with dissecting frogs. I didn't have a lab partner so I just started. The door opened and someone walked in, probably someone who was late. Mr. Sneeringer told him to take a seat next to someone without a partner and I was surprised that he sat next to me. A yummy smell wafted through my nose . It was musky yet had a sweet undertone, but definitely manly.

"Hey I'm Haden." His voice was smooth like velvet with his spanish accent and the base in his tone had me shivering in delight. I look up to see the most handsome man I've ever met. He has beautiful tanned skin as if he was always in the sun, with curly black hair and hazel eyes. "MATE!" Lola hollered inside. She was giddy and scratching around wanting to break free from my restraints.

"Kaylee. My name is.. Kaylee." I whispered. I put my head down looking at the frog in front of me and only snuck a few glances at him every now and then. I made sure to only talk about our work and avoid everything else. The less I knew about him, the easier it would be to avoid him.

At the end of class he hands in our work and waited by the door. He couldn't have been waiting for me could he? I wasn't sure so I walked passed him to go to my next class.

"Oh fuck" I hear him groan lowly. I turned around slightly to see him staring at my ass with lust filled eyes and I couldn't help but get wet from seeing his reaction to me. He started sniffing the air and his heated gaze met mine and a small growl erupted from his chest. I squeaked and headed off to my next class fast. I was no longer slightly wet, my panties were soaked.

****