I took cautious steps into the house, testing each footstep before placing both feet on it. I checked each room as I went, making sure each was empty of human life at least. A few mice or maybe rats had scuttled past, but it didn't phase me, and I kept moving. I found a kitchen too, but looking in the cupboards there was nothing worth taking. I doubted there would be, but I wanted to check.

I progressed up the stairs, each step creaking under me. I hated making any kind of noise, but the chances of someone being here were slimmer now that I had explored the floor below. I could hear another rustling form upstairs. Another mouse perhaps I thought to myself, thinking nothing of it. One of doors was closed when I reached the top of stairs, none of the others in the whole house had been closed. The rustling was louder now, too loud for a rat or mouse, coming from the close door. Nervously I stepped towards it, placing an almost shaking hand on the door handle. I twisted it carefully, and then, gathering my courage, flung open the door.

Well, it wasn't a mouse.

Instead, a cat faced me, it's bright amber eyes glaring at me. The rustling had come from the chase the cat had had with a mouse, which now lay dead in front of it. With that, the cat leapt onto the window sill of the open window, and jumped off.

I breathed a sigh of relief, continuing my search and finding the house empty. I chose a room with a bed and without any dead animals, and pulled my small sleeping bag out of my bag. I placed it onto the bed that stood in the middle of the room, and tried as best I could to settle down. I was exhausted though, and I didn't find it too long to drift off.

I shot upwards suddenly, my eyes opening wide. I glanced at my watch. 6:20 am. Clatters could be heard from outside and I knew immediately what it was. A patrol, searching for us, the enhanced; I needed to leave. Quickly.

Shoving my sleeping bag into my backpack, I jumped up, crashing down the stairs. I peered out the window, to check if any of them were watching. The coast looked clear, and I ran for it, leaping out the door and running. I made it down the forgotten street, my feet scrabbling over loose paving stones. My goal - the path leading to a small forest area. I didn't make it. I'd barely placed one foot on the sandy dirt track before I came face to face with 3 guards.

My heart sank, all 3 were carrying hand guns, and were prepared for me to attack. As one aimed for me, I threw my hands upwards, the ring of blue surrounding them as an impenetrable force shield began to surround me. When I'm worried or need protecting, I can create force shields of energy as well. I couldn't, however, use my abilities to attack them, and concentrate on the force field. They couldn't attack me, but I couldn't attack them, or run. We were at a stalemate.

Then, from no where, a large brown bear appeared, grabbing one of the patrollers in its huge paws and throwing him. As the other guards aimed for the bear, it changed, transforming into a large black wolf, dodging both bullets and racing towards one of the men. It bit his leg and dragged him to the ground before leaping into the other one and grabbing his throat, shaking it. The guard slipped to the floor, unconscious but not dead. I had simply stared in awe at the transfiguring animal attacking the patrol officers. He changed once more, this time into a boy. He looked about my age, maybe a little older, and he was staring at me.

More patrol officers began running towards us, and the boy ran to me, standing by side, I dropped my force field, concentrating my energy on the first two guards, who suddenly flew backwards into the two behind. The boy transformed again, this time into a deer, with huge antlers spearing another few guards after he charged them. He turned and came back to me, changing back to his human form.

"Let's go," he urged, speaking for the first time, "we need to leave."

I nodded and asked "Who are you?"

"Let's have that conversation afterwards, we are kind of being attacked by people that want is dead right now, so let's go." He said again, gesturing to the path behind us.

The guards were coming a lot nearer, beginning to aim their weapons. I still seemed unsure, my feet refusing to move. "You coming?" He asked, starting to run. So I took off after him.

We ran together for a while, taking it in turns to check behind to see if they were still following. "I think we lost them." I said breathlessly, drawing to a halt. The boy stopped too, and nodded in agreement. "Who are you then," I asked, "and why did you help me, we've never met?"

"Names Jason," he said, politely, yet almost mockingly holding out his hand, which I took anyway, "and because we enhanced on the run gotta look out for each other. Technically, we have met too."

"Apryl." I said, "And when have we met?"

"You know that cat that was in the house yesterday?" He asked, an without waiting for a reply continues with, "yeah, erm, that was kinda me." He looked a little sheepish, a grin clear on his face.

I glared at him. "That was you? That was you and you didn't tell me then?"

"Well in my defence, I had no idea you were an enhanced at that point, most people I meet want to kill me, remember?"

"Oh whatever." I say, still glowering at him.

"Ready to go?" He asks.

"What, with you still?" I ask hesitantly.

"Yeah, why not, you seem alright so far, I think I seem alright, and an enhanced ally is hard to find, we'd do better together. That is, until you want rid of me." He says, raising his eyebrow and grinning at me.

He grin is so infectious I can't help but smile back. "Alright then, let's go."

***********************************
So, how was it? Rubbish probably, but I'd appreciate any comment, like or share if you thought it was even remotely worth reading. Please like or follow for more. Thanks!