Chapter Thirty-Two

(Hello fans! I thought this Ghost song matches the vibe of this chapter immensely! "Your beauty never ever scared me." BRB crying. Why are they the perfect example of that line  :')

After hearing from Sam, Dean's already fragmented decision was further split. He did what he normally does when he's so vulnerable and indisposed. He shuts down. Giving Kyiah a full-blown cold shoulder. He claims he's merely focused on the job, trying to give his best. But Kyiah knows when Dean is lying through his teeth. Constantly on edge, barely sleeping. She would turn over in the motel bed to see him lying awake at night, or more than often than not, an empty place next to her. And whenever she touched the subject, the conversation always became heated. Ending with Dean storming out and going for a drive. What else could she do but play along, knowing The Mark and the love for his brother was overpowering his rational thought.

He was pushing her away, and she was holding on tighter.

- - -

Dean sped down a dimly light road. The Impala's engine fills the silence between the two of them. Kai sat against the passenger door her head resting against the window, eyes catching details through the passing surroundings. Dean's knuckles whiten around the wheel, his brow tight in tortuous thought. Images of what the Vetala could be doing to Sam thrashed through his mind, only burning at his fuse.

"DEAN!" Kyiah's shout snaps him into reality. Rotating the wheel to avoid driving into an oncoming car as he'd drifted into the middle of the street. "Holy crap." She exhales. "Are you okay?" He briefly glances to her, making her face fall before looking back out the windshield. Feeling her eyes still glued to him. "Right." She sighs, turning away. He shifts his gaze to her once more. Longing to say something, unable to say anything. The rest of the ride was silent. And after a few minutes, Dean pulls off into a motel parking lot. He turns off the car, got out of his seat, and walks into the front office without saying a word. All before Kai even had the chance to get free of her seat belt. She gets out and starts grabbing bags from Baby's trunk, looking up to find Dean unlock a motel door and close it behind him. Kyiah fastens the trunk, reopens the motel door to set the bags on the ground, and slam it shut. Dean shoot around to see her.

"Jesus, Kai." He shoo'ed, turning his back to her.

"What the hell, Dean?" She announces, shifting him again.

"What?" He barks coldly.

"Don't 'what' me. What is going on with you?" She asks, walking towards him. Dean just shook his head, turning to untuck a blanket from the bed.

"Nothing."

"Nothing?" She questions sarcastically. The curse of Cain swiftly makes his appearance.

"Did you not hear me the first time?" He snaps. Kyiah physically stops, stumped. Trying to find a way to reach him without losing her temper. Channeling her magick. She crosses to him, bringing a hand to his shoulder blade. "I know, you're worried about Sam-" He rips himself away from her touch, dismantling her charge to face her. Her powerful touch now burning against his skin.

"I'm not talking about this."

"Dean, you're upset."

"I'm not upset." He neglects.

"Don't lie to me." She begs.