Chapter 17 - Disturbance

"Birdy is still catatonic," Annabelle said, shutting the door behind her. She sighed. "Let's go."

We left the hospital with slouches and grim expressions, which didn't improve as Officer Louws tried to ask what went on in the psych ward.

"We need to talk about that," Gabriel said, hushed. "What did Daphne mean by she's going to kill us all?"

Annabelle said, "Maybe it's exactly what we think it means. Daphne just revealed to us that the killer is a female."

"We can't jump to that conclusion," I argued. "Daphne was playing the pronoun game, it could mean anything, in any context, towards anyone. We're not ruling anyone ou—" I stopped. "Hey, where are we going?"

"Shortcut to the town centre," Annabelle answered briskly.

There was the phantom sound of lapping water below us. I moved away from the road, teetering on the other edge of the footpath so I could try decipher where the noise was coming from. The land slid down to forest shrubbery.

"Say we did assume the killer is female," Jules said. "That would certainly cut down on our list."

Gabriel made a noise of disbelief. "My money is still on Douglas."

"Speak of the devil and he shall appear," Annabelle muttered.

A gust of wind blew.

He had just one hand on the wheel while the rest of him was focused on arguing with Kaydee in the passenger seat. I could only assume the figures at the back were Kathrin and their assigned officer, but the white car zoomed past before I could see for sure.

"Huh," I said simply, right as Jules said, "Let's follow him."

A beat of silence. Then I could practically feel Gabriel's displeasure coming off him in waves.

"Are you insane?" Gabriel hissed, jerking a thumb back. "Have you forgotten who we have on our tail?"

I snuck a look. Officer Louws was keeping his distance, hawk eyes still latched to us, but talking on his phone. It wasn't a bad idea, per se, but...

"We'll ditch him," Annabelle said, immediately on board.

"The both of you," Gabriel practically wheezed, "are insane!"

Annabelle held out her hand.

"Give me your keys," she demanded. "He'll probably be somewhere near Saline Road right now, and you're parked by the school. We'll catch up easily."

Gabriel looked skyward with his jaw clenched, as if praying he could keep his patience.

My gaze switched back and forth, opting to stay uninvolved.

"I want to know if he's up to something as much as you guys do," Gabriel said, "but if Officer Louws finds out we're following his son, we're going to be in some deep shit."

"Then you stay," Jules said quickly. "Keep Grumpy occupied. Bro, keys."

Gabriel stared down Jules, who held his ground. It was a lost cause. He muttered a curse, and dug out his keys, throwing them at Jules.

Annabelle nudged me.

"Luca, distract him."

I winced. "Do I have to?"

"Luca!"

"Fine," I muttered, "You're lucky he already thinks I'm crazy."

I grabbed onto Gabriel's arm, and vaguely made the loudest screech I could manage.