chapter 3

Oh, crap, i had to ask daddy could i have a boy over. I set the stew on the table and called in the children, i dished out a bowl for each of the older children, then i gave Aaron a small little bowl, i placed Gabby in her high chair and gave her liquidised potatoe and carrots, i left 3 jugs of juice on the table. i took a fresh loaf from the oven and cut it into slices, i then ran to the farm and called the men in , oh dammit i thought we had extra for dinner again. i ran inside and dished up 1 for daddy and 1 for tom then i dished out three extra for the farmhands, i scraped the last of the pot out in a small bowl for myself and hungrily savaged it down. I fed Gabby and soon she fell asleep so i lifted her from her seat and brought her into the sitting room to lie in her travel cot. I took a look at my rosie cheeked angel and stroked her beautiful dark hair, she looked just like me, she had the olive skin that i had bright blue eyes. i watched her sleep for a few minutes and many thoughts rushed through my head, my best friend Gabby would have loved her, just 2 meer weeks before i found her on the step my best friend was in a single car collision and she died at the scene, i still missed her and i thought about her everyday. I also thought about my mother, it is hard to consider her a mother, she left me to mind my four younger siblings, depositing them on the door step like trash, i got my looks from her, she ws a tall italien woman with striking features, i guess the two youngest got their looks from her too, Aaron had my eyes and Gabbys. I often wonder who their father is or if they are both different. Tom, Benny,Sheila and Cáitlin have my fathers Irish looks with Freckles and light brown wavy hair. They all have blue eyes but a deeper blue not as bright as ours. I dont think about her often but when i do i realise how i hate her so, no cards no letters, all we got was a divorce form in the post one day that left everything to my father, Thank God. One day when we were small..BANG..SCREAMS... I came out of my trance and ran to the kitchen, My father had fallen to the floor and everyone stood around him, the children started to whimper. I shouted to the farmhands to get a doctor, ring an ambulance and they quickly did, i ran to my fathers side and realised that his breathing had stopped i checked his airways and began compressions, after 15 minutes he regained consciousness and i turned him to the recovery position the ambulance eventually arrive and told me i had done a good job and carted him off to the hospital. Tom hopped in the ambulance and told me he would accompany Daddy, he promised to ring if the situation changed and to ring with the diagnosis. The farmhands cleaned the kitchen without been told and fed the dogs scraps. They told me they would stay to do the evening milk before heading home, i thanked them and left them in the kitchen. I found the children staring aimlessly through the sitting room window without saying a word. I pulled them all into a group hug, and told them daddy would be OK. I looked at the clock and saw it was almost half six. I saw that Gabby had been asleep fo r nearly an hour and a half, so i gently woke her up. I turned off the skybox and asked the three older ones to get their uniforms and put them in a wash basket at the top of the stairs, i sent Benny for the first shower, and then asked him to change into his pj's and clean his room then to go downstairs to mind the younger two, while i washed the two girls and dried their long hair, they then changed into pjs and night gowns and slippers and made their way down stairs. I had just finished scrubbing the babies in the bath when i heard a knock on the door, i screamed for benny to get the door. Quickly i wrapped Aaron in a towl and I dressed Gabby in a nappy and a babygro. i raced down the stairs to find the three kids glaring at an uncomfortable Matt. Omg i had totally forgotten Matt, Damn after everything that had happened, I showed him to the sitting room and placed Gabby in her Moses basket on the ground by the fire. she gurgled away happy. I then raced the three upstairs with a tired Aaron on my lap. I asked them all to brush their teeth and climb into bed as i filled the three hot water bottles, a nightly routine. i realised it was nearly half seven.  tucked the two girls into bed first and said they could watch a dvd as it was friday night. They picked hannah montana and climbed into their big double bed in the loft. They curled up and i knew by their yawns they would soon fall asleep. I then went to the boys room and found Benny climbing into bed, he then asked me who the man downstairs was and i told him he was just a friend. i tucked him in and said that i would check by 8 to make sure he was asleep. he gave me a cheeky grin and i left him to tend to Aaron, as always Aaron asked to sleep in my bed and i said that only this once, i raced him to my room and threw him in the bed and kissed him goodnight, he rocked off to sleep before i left the room. I took a quick look in the mirror realised i was wearing my uniform still so i picked up some sweats and a hoodie and quickly changed. I took one morw look let down my curly hair and walked down the stairs. I walked into the sittingroom to find Matt playing with a smiling gabby. After watching him for a moment he looked up and smiled at me. Gabby started to whimper so i took her to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of warm milk for her. I went back to the sitting room and Matt looked at me and said " i guess your babysitting tonight," i just looked at him pityingly and nodded, if only he knew. I sat down nursing Gabby and we began to talk, i found converstaion just flowed easily with him, he asked about my family and for once i told him the truth , the only other person i had tod was Gabby and she was gone. He told me that he was an only child and that life was lonely, i told him that i was theses childrens mammys, and if i say so myself he looked stunned.  Gabby had nodded off and at half nine i realised i had been taking to him for nearly two hours. for a few moments it was quite and i looked at him, i could see him looking at me, we leaned into each other, him placing a hand on my face, we were just about to .. RING .. the phone was ringing, oh no it must be Tom.