The Girl with Chocolate

Start from the beginning

All of the experiences she must have missed flash through my mind: her mum teaching her how to ride a bike, having family dinners on Sundays, being dropped off for her first day of kindergarten, learning from her mum how to bake...

So many important life events never experienced.

The idea makes my heart ache.

Although, I don't have to dwell on it for very long because Layla suddenly dips her finger into the chocolatey mixture in the bowl and dabs it onto my nose.

"Turn that frown upside down."

The action is so out of character and so cute that heat instantly crawls up my neck. For once, Layla doesn't look embarrassed or nervous, no she has this shit-eating grin on her face that has my own curling up and my heart racing.

I childishly stick out my tongue to like up the chocolate, chuckling at the shocked look on Layla's face at my hidden talent of touching my tongue to my nose.

"Ew, Harry, what are you, a dog?" And the way her head tilts back as she laughs so unabashedly, so freely, so loudly, I want to hear that sound forever.

And while she is laughing with her head back and eyes closed I take the opportunity to dip my finger into the chocolate batter and smear it across her own nose, ceasing her laughter and making her rear back in shock.

"I take the time out of my day to teach you how to bake and you have the gall to waste my creation?" She asks, face like stone and once light eyes now stormy.

My stomach instantly churns at her suddenly somber tone and expression and I began to fumble an apology, "I-I'm sorry... I wasn't trying to waste... I was just-"

But, I'm instantly cut off when Layla pulls her wooden spoon from the bowl and without hesitation, swipes the chocolate off right on my cheek.

"You should've seen your face," She chokes out between giggles, clutching her stomach and still holding her weapon of choice as I stand in shock, "I was only joking, Curly."

It's playful and so very rare to see her this relaxed and happy and I really don't want this to end, so with a devilish smirk on my face and nodding my head I pick up my own rubber spatula, making sure to get a good glob of chocolate before facing Layla again.

Instantly, she sobers up, eyeing the chocolate-filled spatula wearily and beginning to back away –dropping the spoon on the floor and facing me with palms-up.

"Let's not get too hasty-"

"You're in for it, Red."

And with that, I break out into a run, Layla squealing and almost tripping on her feet as she runs out of the kitchen. I begin to laugh heartily as I watch her try to maneuver around our small apartment: jumping over a beanbag chair and almost knocking into the coffee table.

Although I made sure to tidy up before she came over, shoes and a skateboard act as an obstacle course as she jumps and dodges each item in her way, laughing the entire time and squealing every time I get too close.

Finally she ends up on one side of the couch and I remain on the other, weapon drawn.

"Let's think rationally here, Harry," She pants out of breath, cheeks flushed, and eyes dancing in the light, "Now, let's make a truce to-"

And before she can even finish her sentence, I flick back the rubber of the spatula, so that the chocolate flies through the air and splatters all over her face, neck and chest. She looks down to see her white pirate shirt stained with drops of chocolate and she looks up in irritation.