~Chapter 27~

Kaycee

It didn't take long for me to understand what Christian meant. I remain silent, not wanting to anger him anymore. I notice how he smirks when he looks behind me before leaning over.

"If you tell anyone about our conversation, everyone you love will be dead the moment it leaves your pretty little mouth," he threatens dangerously. I close my eyes, wishing this was a dream, no, a nightmare.

"Is there a problem, your majesty?"

"Yes," I look over to see Zach glaring down at Christian, "I thought I told you to leave her alone," while Christian is coming up with a remark, I escape his grasp and hurry over  to Zach, who instantly pulls me behind his back.

"I was just telling her how happy I am that she is completely healed," Christian lies, his eyes landing on me. I look away, staring at Zach's back.

"Just stay away from her in the future," Zach says sternly before turning around and steering me away with a hand on my back. Once we are in a fairly occupied area, Zach stops and turns towards me.

"What did he say?" I open my mouth to explain, but Christians threat repeats itself.

"N-nothing," I say softly, looking down at the floor. I feel his gaze on me as I remain silent.

"Kayc, if he threatened you, you need to tell me," he says gently, sounding concerned. I shake my head before looking at him.

"He didn't threaten me, Zach," Zach releases a sigh, giving up. He steps forward and wraps me in a hug.

"Fine, but," he says softly, stepping away, "stay away from him. I don't trust him," I nod. Zach smiles before grabbing my hand and leading me away. We converse with others for a while, everyone asking how I'm feeling. What shocked me the most was how Zach stayed by my side the whole time.

"Kaycee!" A young voice calls out. I turn around and gasp as one of Iza's daughters, Claire, hugs my legs. Claire is about five years old. Her blonde hair is in high pigtails and she is wearing a blue plaid dress.

"Hey, Claire," I say, ignoring the slight pain in my side. She beams up at me, her bright green eyes shining.

"Claire Elizabe-" Iza scolds, walking towards her daughter, who steps back, head bowed. Iza pauses and curtsies. It takes me a moment to realize she was curtsying towards Zach, who stands behind me. Iza stands up straight and smiles apologetically towards me.

"I'm sorry, Kaycee," she says awkwardly, probably because Zach was here. Claire looks at me, her bright smile back.

"Come pway wif me!" she begs, "'livia will be there!" I smile at her.

"Sure," I say as she grabs two of my fingers and leads me over to her older sister, who has some dolls and puzzles on a table in a corner. Olivia looks up and smiles her toothy smile. I sit down next to Claire, who pulls the nearest doll over and begins to play with it's hair.

"Wanna do a puzzle?" Olivia asks, sitting down to my left, a hundred piece puzzle in her hands.

"Sounds like fun," Olivia smiles as she spills out the pieces.

"Mom says that it'll be easier if you separate the inside pieces from the outside," she explains as she does exactly that. I look over to my right to see Claire combing her doll's hair. I smile when I see Zach next to her, also combing a doll's hair.

He notices me staring and he sends me an awkward smile, blush creeping onto his cheeks. I return his smile as Olivia shakes my arm. I turn back to her and we start making the puzzle.

~

"So how was playing with dolls?" I tease Zach later after the mini party. Zach blushes and looks away, embarrassed.

"Embarrassing,"

"I think it was cute," I admit, a slight blush on my cheeks. I walk beside him silently, wanting so badly to tell him what Christian told me. Suddenly, Zach grabs my wrist and pulls me to the right.

A door closes and a light is turned on. Zach turns towards me, arms crossed. I look away from his gaze.

"Kaycee, I know he didn't just say nothing," Zach starts, "you have barely spoken at all and have that distant look in your eyes," I shake my head, remaining silent, "you can tell me anything,"

"I-I can't tell you," I whisper, barely audible. Zach walks over towards me, staring down at me. I look up to meet his gaze, relaxing at his calming, beautiful light blue eyes.

"Yes, yes you can, love," he whispers. I close my eyes, wishing that I could tell him. I hated Christian for everything from when we first met. I release a small breath when I feel a hand wrap around my neck gently.

I feel his lips press against mine gently. I relax at this as he deepens the kiss. Before the kiss can get too heated, I step back, arms crossed as I walk away from him.

"You'll die," I whisper, looking back at him. He furrows his brow in confusion.

"What?"

"You will die if I tell you anything about my conversation with Christian," I explain, a tear trailing down my cheek, "he said that everyone I care about will die if I told him the conversation," Zach remains silent, staring at me.

"You care about me?" he whispers, barely audible.

"Of course I do, Zach," I say, annoyed that that is all he cares about, "but that isn-"

A pair of lips interrupt me. I close my eyes and return the kiss, wrapping my arms around his neck. I feel his hands on my hips as the kiss deepens. He pulls back slightly, his mouth next to my ear.

"I care for you, too," he admits before planting a kiss on my cheek and sitting down on the bed, pulling me with him. We lie there, him on his back, right hand behind his head while his left arm is wrapped around me as my head lies on his chest, listening to his heartbeat.

"Nothing will hurt you," he says suddenly. I look up at him, confused.

"I will protect you with everything I got, but not with my life,"

"Why not with your life?" I ask, trying my best to hide the hurt.

"Because you are my life and it is too valuable to loose,"