CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE ~PART FOUR~

Start from the beginning

"Well, what if you guys were able to disable it somehow? You know, break it, power it down, destroy it. Would that help slow them down?" She says waiting for a response.

I let a moment of silence pass as I think about it. It's true that they use it for a lot of their time jumping missions, but they would still be able to come after us, between the vests and the few who can jump without it; they wouldn't stop chasing us.

"Yeah that may do something," I say trying to ease the discomfort created by the moment of silence after her comment. It may not be a reasonable solution but at least we're getting somewhere now.

"But they can jump without it. It wouldn't do enough. We need to strike them hard. Cripple them completely," Tristis says.

"Yeah but only a few of them can actually jump without it, Tris. And besides without it, the whole building and its purpose would be rendered useless for their purposes. That could possibly do some serious damage," Cynthia adds.

"Cynthia's right," I say realizing that this plan may actually be better than I originally thought. Maybe Aubri is onto something here. "Without the ascension room they would not be able to move as many people as quickly through the timelines. And they wouldn't be able to recruit new trainees. The whole system would be rendered useless. Crippled even."

"But what about the 'others' they are constantly referring to?" Tristis adds remaining skeptical about the plan we are working on unfolding in front of him. Sometimes his persistent aversion to the plan at hand aggravates me, but I brush it off and set it aside for the time being.

"Then we'll target their 'ascension rooms' too. We won't stop until we finish every last one of them," I say half serious, half sarcastically as a stubborn response to Tristis.

"What about the device you were telling us about Alex. The Angron 1124, 1245, or whatever?" Tristis adds continuing his persistence. Every bit of me wants to grab him by the shoulders and shake him into submission to our plan, but instead I take a breath and let it out slowly.

Truth is I almost forgot about that, which thinking about it now, seems a pretty important thing to address. The thing that can completely destroy a timeline in a matter of seconds.

Yeah, that needs to be addressed.

"11024." I say correcting him on the exact name, not that it matters.

"Yeah that thing. What about that? Maybe they have more of them. What are we going to do about that?" Tristis asks prodding my last nerve. Cynthia reaches out and lays her hand on Tristis letting him know in a gentle way to back off.

I have no doubts that they have more of the devices. Much more. Too many to be counted for all I know.

All this is too much for me to think about. I feel lightheaded and I begin to envy the me that had been held in the police station. In that interrogation room. Oblivious to the world that existed just beyond the door of the room. The world that Hilt and Richard would introduce me to and change my life forever. I would give anything to be back in that situation again. Locked up. Safe. In the comforting protection of the police. Not that they could really defend against the horrors that the Angron device could create. But at least then I would have no clue to the danger. Ignorance is bliss. I'd rather spend the rest of my life in a jail cell as long as I didn't have to deal with this now. Or ever.

I let the sorrow sulk over me. Go through its course. Peak my adrenaline and hear rate. Give me shaky hands. Then sweaty palms and cold sweat that glistens my forehead and it's done. I am able to regain my thought process and think a little more clearly. I need to do something about the Angron first and foremost. The fact that it didn't succeed in the first place gives me hope that I actually still have time to change something. I cling to that hope. The hope that I can do something worth doing. Something that can change something.