“He began to become more secretive, angrier, more controlling. He thought that marriage meant that he owned me, like I was his property. He stopped me from seeing my friends, keeping me locked in the house all day. I wasn’t allowed to do anything without him or his permission. H-he hit me… over and over and over.” 

“He had never told me exactly what his job was, only that he made enough money to give me whatever I wanted. He came home smelling like perfume with lip stick stains on his shirt. Every time I questioned him about it he would just shrug it off and ignore me.” 

Brooklyn abruptly stopped walking, squeezing her eyes shut as she recounted her memory. “One time he came home drunk with a couple of girls and a few of his friends that I knew he worked with. They were all sitting around drinking while the girls danced in front them. I hid behind the wall as I watched them. I was quiet until I saw Sebastian grab one of the girls and pull her onto his lap. He kissed her, touched her, and before I knew it his pants were around his ankles while the girl was riding him.” 

“I marched in there and grabbed the girl by her hair and pulled her off of him. Sebastian was angrier than I had ever seen him before. 

“What did I tell you?! When company is here you are to stay upstairs in the bedroom!” he said. 

“I know… b-but you’re down here having sex with some girl!” I yelled back. “Were getting married it three months Sebastian! Did you forget that?” I mentally smacked myself; I was definitely going to get it tonight. 

“No I didn’t forget, but you must have forgotten who you’re speaking to.” 

“You know what? I’m done! I’m not doing this shit anymore!” I ripped his ring from my finger and threw it to the floor. I turned around and stomped out of the living room. 

“Boss, you gonna let her talk to you like that?” His friends mumbled behind me. “She seems a little out of hand; maybe you should be teaching her a lesson. Better yet, we can all teach her a lesson.” 

I felt Sebastian walking up behind me when he grabbed onto my arm and dragged me back into the living room. He pushed me into the circle of his friends as he snarled at me. 

“I told myself that you were too young for this. I said I would wait until 18. But you’re such a little bitch!” He grabbed onto my shirt, ripping it from my body.  

“What are you doing?! Stop!” I tried to walk away but one of his friends held me firmly in place, holding my arms to my side.

He pulled my bra off, shredding my shorts and panties next. He threw me onto the large couch. 

“Stop, stop!” I said, cutting Brooklyn off. I couldn’t bear to hear anymore. Brooklyn sniffled as she wiped tears from her eyes. 

“That night… I lost a piece of myself.” She began walking again, I trailed behind. I could make out the outline of the forest now.