chapter nineteen | starlight

I thought that dating an older girl would turn out different than this.

I've always thought that the older you got, the wiser you became. With incredible wisdom, you would earn yourself a powerful brain that could defend any amount of robots threatening to take over the world. I'm pretty sure that the oldest person I know, which would happen to be Miss Mariam, would be able to outsmart anything that were to cross her path. Considering that an older girl would have lived in this world longer than I have, I expected for her to be more mature than anything I've ever came across in my life and that they wouldn't act like any of the kids my age do.

Indie isn't exactly the brightest knife in the box, if you catch my drift.

It isn't that Indie isn't smart, as I know that she used to get fairly decent grades in school and was able to continue on with her education in college. The girl has brain cells, that much is evident, and no one would ever dare to say that she doesn't have a brain. It isn't that kind of dumb that I'm talking about, when I say that she isn't that bright. Indie is intelligent, but she's dumb.

We're currently sitting side by side on a large picnic table, enjoying the warm summer night and the cool breeze that the lake lays on us. This is the exact same place that we were sitting a few weeks ago, when I first asked her out. It's sort of become our meeting place, as lame and immature as that sounds. As she can see this very spot from the window from her bus, it's super easy for her to know when I'm out here and she never skips a beat to come lay down next to me. It's a wonderful way to spend the long summer days, if I do say so myself.

Since the sun has bid itself good night, the temperature has lowered down and it's almost the perfect degrees out. I thrive in atmospheres with an extremely blazing sun constantly shining down on my shoulders and you'll never catch me complaining about it being too hot, but Indie hasn't built up the same immune as I have; she prefers to live in places that aren't always so hot and to Indie, anything above the cool temperature of eighty five is too hot for her to handle. I personally think she's crazy, but we've learned to only lay out at this point when the sun is gone and the stars make their glorious debut.

We tend to talk about absolutely nothing of any sort of importance when we're here, as its nice to be able to escape the real world for a little bit. It's almost as if we live in our own little perfect world and no one could ever mess with us when we're here, which is about as good of a spot as we're ever going to get. No one's ever out here and no one lives around these bends anymore, as Miss Mariam's husband used to deem this place his man cave and come out here whenever he wanted to pretend to hunt or fish. You don't mess with tradition here, even if the person said tradition revolves around is dead.

During one of these nonsense talks a minutes ago, I made the mistake of uttering the word fun in a dreaming sort of way. Apparently this reminded her of a song that she knows the words to, as she starts to chants the lyrics to it in a booming voice. I have no idea what she's singing and I don't think that I even want to know, as the words to it seem far too crazy for my liking.

Only now does Indie realize that I have no idea what's going on, as she stops singing and raises her eyebrows at me. "Why do you look like you have no idea what iconic singing? You better know what song this is or I'm going to be extremely disappointed in you."

"I literally have zero ideas about that my song could be from or by," I shake my head at her.

Indie lets out a fake gasp, which comes out sounding like one from an overly dramatic soap opera that won't be getting any sort of awards any time in the near future. "How can you not know the best Spongebob SquarePants song that was ever done? F.U.N.?"