The Orphanage

"Let me show you to your room," Ms. Gomez said sweetly. "Okay," I quietly mumbled. She grabbed my suitcase and lead me down a long hall. At the end of the hall was a massive staircase. We walked up what seemed like a never ending staircase. We arrive at the top to find another long hallway and I continue to follow Ms. Gomez's lead.

She stopped at one of the doors and opened it. "Here it is. This is your new room." I stood in silence. I was nervous and scared so I just stood there quietly, not saying a word. I could tell that she noticed the way I was acting. "You will be sharing a room with two other girls," she said, intending to ease my worries but doing the opposite. My mind began thinking of too many things at once. What if they're mean? What if they bully me? What if they don't love me like everyone else? "Don't worry hun, they are really nice girls I promise. They are just a little older than you that's all," her soft voice trying to calm my nerves, yet failing to once again. The voice in my head still had questions but I respond with a simple "okay". That's all I have been able to say since I got to this place.

I looked at Ms. Gomez. She had shoulder length red hair, blue eyes, perfectly done makeup, and barely noticeable freckles. She was actually really pretty now that I wasn't just staring shyly at my feet.

"Well, I'll leave you to unpack your things. Dinner will be ready in an hour," she said while turning around and walking out of the room. I walked to my suitcase which was on top of a perfectly made bed. I unzipped the large suitcase and started taking out my clothes. I walked to the dresser and searched for an empty drawer. "The bottom two are yours," I jumped when I heard the girls voice. I turned around to see a girl about the age of seven with blond hair. She set her shoes down along with a smaller pair in the closet and left. "That was weird," I say to myself under my breath.

I opened the bottom drawer and shoved my clothes in it. I walked back to my suitcase and took out my teddy bear. I placed it on the bed and kept going through my suitcase. Just my books and blanket that I've had since I was a baby was left. I set the books on the nightstand next to my bed and grabbed the blanket. When I pulled out the blanket something shinny was underneath. It was a silver box. I opened it and saw pictures of my mother, father, and me. There was a book with an envelope on top. The envelope read "Read in case of an emergency". Whatever that meant.

I picked up the book and tried to open it, but I couldn't due to the large lock on it. Great. There was one more thing in the box. Another envelope. This one read "Read as soon as you find me". Curious, I opened it carefully and pulled out the piece of paper. I unfolded it to find my mother's beautiful handwriting.

Dear Dani, Hi baby girl. I know you're very confused right now but trust me, it's for your own good. I probably told you that I would only be gone for a couple of days, and I'm sorry for not returning. I went to go find your father and well, if you are reading this it means I didn't find him and something bad has happened to me. You are probably in an orphanage right now. That is where you will stay for now on. Please don't be mad at Sarah, she was only doing what I asked her to. In the side pocket of your suitcase there are letters for you to open on your birthday for the next few years. I'm gone but that does not mean that I am not with you, because I am. In your heart. I'm so glad that you're a little genius and can read this. I love you princess. From, Mommy

My heart broke. I felt a tear roll down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away and glanced at the clock. It's already time for dinner. I washed up and splashed some water on my face.

I made my way down the long staircase and to the dining room. When I walked in I saw all the kids from outside sitting down at a long table that stretched across the room. There were about fourteen other kids at the table and all of their eyes were on me. Next to Ms.Gomez there was an empty seat, I quickly made my way there and sat down.

About halfway through dinner, everyone was silent. Ms.Gomez decided to introduce me because I hadn't done it yet and didn't plan to. "Children, this is Dani Winchester. She is new and I trust that you all treat her kindly and with respect". No one spoke. "Alyssa and Christina, she will be sharing a room with y'all." I heard two quiet voices mumble "okay" and "yes ma'am" One of the voices belonged to the blond haired girl.

After dinner, everyone went to their rooms. I left the table last so no one would try to talk to me while everyone walked upstairs. I quietly walked to the kitchen and put my plate in the sink. I walked upstairs and into my new room. I sat on my bed and looked through the pictures. "Are those your parents? Oh, and I'm Christina," the blonde girl from earlier told me with a smile. "That's Alyssa. She's my younger sister. She's a little shy, just like you." I don't know why but that made me smile. "I'm not that shy I just don't know you," I said quietly. "Well we're roomies now so you'll be seeing a lot of me and Alyssa." I looked at Alyssa, she didn't look much like Christina. She had really light brown hair that was down to the middle of her back, small lips, and large green eyes like me.

"So tell us about yourself, Dani." She had now sat next to me on my bed. I scooted away out of instinct and discomfort. "Don't worry, I dont bite." She laughed a little too hard at herself but she had a pretty laugh so I didn't mind. "I'm only four years old but I have the mind of a 5th grader," I respond. "My mom calls me her little genius...or at least she used to. My birthday is January 24. My dad left one day and never came back home. My mom went to go look for him and thats when she died. Now I'm stuck in this place." "Stuck here? This place is great why would you say that?" She quickly responded. "Look around! Do you see your parents or your home?!" I snapped back. "I have my sister and this place is my home, yours now too so you better get used to it," she countered, sounding slightly offended. She doesn't get it though. She had someone when she came here. I'm all alone.