Pizza and a Movie

Start from the beginning

“A movie sounds great.” He said, smiling. Damn. I shouldn’t have put that out there.

Then again, he seemed nice, and I really did want to be friends. Maybe I shouldn’t push him to explain. He’d tell me eventually.

I ordered the pizza and when I got back he was looking at all our DVDs.

“What do you wanna watch?” I asked, curious about his choice. It might shed some light on the sort of person he is. He turned, studying my face for a minute, then turned back to the stack. He pointed to one. My jaw dropped.

“That’s my favourite.” I said, surprised that he’d choose it. “No, it’ll make me cry. We don’t know each other well enough for you to see that.”

“I already saw you cry tonight, and I’m still here, right?” He argued. I smiled; he had a point.

“Ok, but are you sure about your choice? It’s a little girly.”

“I’ve never seen it, but I’m sure I’ll like it. If it’s your favourite, it can’t suck completely right?” HE aid smiling again. His smile was contagious, and always made me smile.

“Exactly. Well, do you mind if I go change? I’m a little cold.” I said, gesturing to my tank top and shorts.

“Of course not. I’ll wait here.” He replied, before sitting on the couch and gesturing for me to go ahead.

I ran up the stairs quickly, locating my favourite movie hoody and some jeans. I raced back downstairs just in time to get the door.

Once I’d paid the delivery guy I went back into the living room to see Leo still sitting on the couch, but the TV was on and the DVD menu was running.

“Oh, you put it on. Cool, are you ready? You don’t need the bathroom or anything? I gotta warn you, I love this film so much that I won’t pause it. At all.” I said seriously, and he laughed.

“Don’t worry, that won’t be necessary.”

*******************************************************************

The credits came on the screen and I hastily wiped the tears from my eyes and turned to look at Leo.

HE wasn’t crying but his mouth was open in awe, and his eyes were filled with longing. I laughed, and he rearranged his expression, then turned to look at me.

“So I’m guessing you liked the film?” I asked, teasing him a little.

“Yeah, I mean... wow. They were so in love, I can’t believe how good it was! I mean the ending was so good, and it was sad but... I mean, if it was sad, why do I feel all happy on the inside?” He asked, and the expression on his face was priceless. He looked like a five year old trying to understand quantum physics. I laughed, and he looked embarrassed.

“It’s because they were so in love, and even though she lost him, she got to see him one last time, so you get tricked into thinking it was a happy ending.” I replied and smiled as he got a wistful look on his face.

“I wish I could experience love.” He said, staring at nothing, and I could tell he was far away in the corners of his mind.

“You will be, one day.” I said, and my voice pulled him back to the present.

“I doubt it. I mean, to be truly in love, you have to love the person to the extremes, and that would be do-able, I guess, but I also meant I want someone to love me back just as much.” He said, looking really sad.

“Well, someone will. Why don’t you seem to agree?” I wondered if it was a case of extremely low self-esteem, which was strange to see in a boy. I liked him more by the second, because he wasn’t cocky and stupid. He was really nice. I knew I was really going to value his friendship.