22. Involuntary Consequences

22.Involuntary Consequences

************not edited****************

The puddle of blood surrounding Greg's body only seemed to grow with every passing moment of Jace's absence. My fingers, wrapped tightly around the handle of the gun, ached from the exertion of my grip. Swallowing around the increasing lump in my throat, I wiped a sweaty hand down the ruins of my dress.

"Come on, Jace." I muttered anxiously, unable to deny the spiral of resentment towards Jace that leaked into my gut. I forced myself to inhale, wishing I could pick myself up from the floor and stop the shaking in my legs. The man had yet to move, his form still unconscious and unmoving. An occasional twitch had his body jarring and mine tensing even further. The darkness of the room teased me, causing me to tense further at the idea of just what could be lurking in the shadows. Feeling vulnerable was something I was not comfortable with.

Realistically, it had only been moments since Jace had exited, though the minutes passed by agonizingly slow. With my teeth sinking harshly into my lip, I couldn't seem to piece together the reason as to why Jace was acting so coldly to me after what had happened. His attitude left me with a bitter taste in my mouth and it felt like a hand was squeezing my heart. It was evidently clear that whatever he felt for me was minor when he left me here to watch over the man who had just held a knife to my throat.

I squeezed my eyes shut for a moment to will myself not to cry, unwilling to keep them closed for any longer with the possibility of Greg awaking without me noticing. The thought terrified me and I jerked my eyes open to reassure myself that he had not. More than anything did I want to return back to the safe house, hide in the sanctuary of my locked room, and bury myself under a mountain of blankets away from any problems that continued to haunt me.

The bang of the door opening had a barely-resisted scream lodging itself in my throat. I stared with wide eyes as Riley and Cameron's broad frames charged in, not even sparing me a glance as they threw themselves towards the man, lugging him up without a single look of tiredness written across their emotionless faces.

I stayed frozen, the damned gun still pointed loosely in their directions. I couldn't gauge if they held contentment for me as Jace seemed to. Instead I continued to stay seated, finding myself unable to move as I numbly watched them lug the man out of the room, blood staining their dress shirts.

"Let's go, Savannah." Cameron said lowly, barely glancing in my direction as they paused in their steps. "We have to get out of here. The jet is being prepared for us to get back to Seattle."

His words jarred me from my thoughts.

"I-is everyone alright?" I stammered out, forcing myself to stand upon weak legs. My concern only increased as they exchanged a set of dark gazes that had my heart pounding, as my question went unanswered. I swallowed thickly, blinking wildly at the pair. "Cameron? Riley? Is-"

"I said let's go, Savannah." Cameron ground out once more, the harshness coating his words jarring me into a state of shock. I stumbled forward, listening to his thoughtless order, a certain numbness cutting any feeling from my chest. I stared blankly after the guys, forcing myself not to cast one last look behind me at the room that would haunt my thoughts for the rest of eternity.

The hallway still had a certain feeling of dread lingering in it as I dragged myself after the boys, feeling the weight of the weapon still gripped tightly in my hand. I was eager to rid myself of the glock, knowing that I was carrying something that had so easily nearly killed a man. I curled my shaking fingers into a fist, narrowing my eyes unseeingly in front of me.