Chapter Seventeen

"Well let's go then." Kayleb said stepping forward. Jake growled and stepped between the demon and his family.

"Wait Kayleb. This is a demon."

"Yeah, you can trust a tick more than you can trust one of those things." Lane added moving Joey behind him. Jake tried to do the same with Angela but she threw him a look that clearly said, don't start and stood by his side.

"You can trust him." Kaylee said matter of factly as she walked around Jake and stood beside the tall blond demon.

"He's a demon?" Joey asked.

"He looks more like an angel." Angela added. Jake growled.

"That's how they get innocent mortals to trust them, just before they lure them to their deaths."

"I don't give a shit if he's Satan himself, come up from the fiery pits of hell, if he says he knows where I can find Vanessa then I'm going with him!" Kayleb said angrily.

"We can trust Damien." Kaylee said.

"All demons are evil, Kaylee." Charles spoke up while shaking his head. Kaylee rolled her eyes and glared at her family who all seemed to be in agreement with Charles, except for Joey and Angela who were staring at Damien as if he were an alien instead of a demon.

"Yes and all vampires are cold blooded, blood sucking murderers. And all werewolves are brain dead dogs who walk around sniffing each others asses all day. And all mortals are weak and ignorant."

"I am not a dog... I'm hot." Bethany said tossing her blond hair over her shoulder and dusting imaginary dirt from her arm.

"I think she was trying to make a point, honey." Greg said matter of factly.

"I know that, but she didn't have to insult me to do it."

"Yes she did." Greg said. "That was the point."

"Shut up!" Kayleb snapped and he looked at Damien. "How do you know where Vanessa is?"

"Kaylee told me about Vincent and the trouble going on with your family so I checked into it. I know where he keeps his pets."

"Been there a few times, huh?" Lane asked and Kaylee glared at him as he shrugged and gave a sheepish grin.

"Yes, actually I have." Damien replied matter of factly.

"How do you know this when I do not." Frances asked.

"Because I run in a slightly darker circle than you do vampire." Damien replied. Kayleb was weak on his feet and his skin was on fire from Frances's bites. He had built up a fairly good resistance to vampire venom over the years but it still hurt like hell.

Angela must have noticed because the next thing he felt was her gentle hand on his arm and her energy flowing through him.

(We'll get her back, Kayleb.) Angela said so only he could hear.

"You all need to put aside anything you have against demons for right now. What matters at this moment is getting Vanessa back and nothing else. If Kaylee says we can trust Damien then we trust him. End of story."

"How do you know this demon, Kaylee?" Charles asked with an edge of anger to his voice.

"His name is Damien and he is my friend." Kaylee replied and then she looked up at Damien. "Can you take us to where she is?"

"Of course. Though I must warn you he is not alone there."

"Come on, let go down to the office and we can talk about how many there are and what the place is like." Jake said going into hunting mode instantly.