Chapter Four

"Where do you want to go stay?" Kaylee asked after Vanessa and Faith were dressed. Kayleb was still gone dealing with the sub demons. Vanessa looked down at her daughter and then up at Kaylee.

"I don't know." she replied honestly. Her parents had died when she was eighteen in a car accident and she was an only child. If she had aunts, uncles and cousins she didn't know them.

"We could go stay the night with daddy." Faith said brightly. Kaylee noticed the look of dread that passed over Vanessa's face and she was happy to see it. If Vanessa was Kayleb's mate, Kaylee did not want another man to be standing in his way because she already knew he would stand in his own way just fine.

"No baby, your daddy is busy." Vanessa replied.

"The station can put you in a motel until we get your house clean." Kaylee replied as she ran her hand through her shoulder length, curly red hair and smiled.

"Okay." Vanessa bit her lip and leaned closer to Kaylee so she could whisper without Faith overhearing her. "Do you think he'll come after us?"

"I don't think so. We've never had survivors before so we can't promise you that he won't but I'll make sure there is an officer stationed outside your door tonight just in case."

"Okay." Vanessa replied. Kaylee looked behind her.

"Tyler!" she called loudly. A young male officer dressed in uniform stood up straight.

"Yes ma'am?" he said respectfully, bringing snickers from some of the other officers.

"Relax Tyler." Kaylee said with a smile. "Can you carry their suitcases out to their car?" Tyler nodded and quickly grabbed the suitcases and walked out the door with them. "That boy is in love with me. I could tell him to go clean the bathroom with his tongue and he'd probably run and do it with a smile." Kaylee said and Faith made a face as she stuck out her tongue.

"Yuck! That's icky." Vanessa nodded in agreement. Kaylee just laughed lightly.

"That's men. If they like you good enough they'll do just about anything." Vanessa shook her head and gave a sarcastic laugh.

"Well I've never had that luxury." she said. Kaylee shrugged and led them to the door.

"There's still plenty of time to find it."

"I don't want it." Vanessa replied matter of factly as she opened her car door to let Faith in and Faith giggled as Scout climbed over.

"Why?" Kaylee asked as she opened the passenger door. She had decided to ride in their car with them and then just dash back to the station.

"I was married once and learned that men let you down. I can take care of my daughter just fine on my own and I don't need another man ever." Kaylee nodded and then pulled out her cell phone and called the motel to make sure they had a room she was happy with. She thought about her brother as she made her phone call.

Kayleb had never once talked about wanting to find his mate but Kaylee knew that he needed a mate to make him appreciate life. Her brother never acted truly happy and having a mate and falling in love could change that. But if Vanessa refused to give Kayleb a chance then her brother would be more miserable than ever because he would need to have her around and she wouldn't be there.

Vanessa looked around the tiny motel room and sighed. It sure wasn't home sweet home but then again home would never feel like home sweet home again after what had happened there.

"There's a patch of grass in the back that they said you could use for the dog to go to the bathroom." Kaylee said looking around the room. She checked the closets and bathroom and found them all empty. "Before dusk there will be an officer out here to stand guard at the door just in case but I doubt you'll have any more trouble out of the vamp. I'm sure he's already moved on to someone else."