You Don't Seem To Care

"What are we doing today Marc?" I asked as I hopped into my Dad's car, as he had come  to pick me up from the sleepover.

"Me and Joseph were goin' to go to whitehall!" My Dad exclaimed insinuating his 'farmers' accent. "Wanna come with?"

"Sure Daddio."

*******

"I swear they have moved the thatching section." Joe insisted marching around the garden section. I laughed but then stopped as I saw Alfie.

"Zoe!" He called bounding over, followed by a man; His Dad I guessed.

"Dad, this Alfie."

"Hi." My Dad mumbled suddenly quiet; My Dad was never quiet. "Hello Robert."

"Hello Graham."

We all stood there silently, what the heck was going on? Why was there so much tension in the air? Me and Alfie shared a confused look then his Dad spoke up.

"Come on Alfie, we're leaving." And just like that they left.

********

"Zoe can I talk to you?" My Dad called me from downstairs.

"Sure." I called. "Whats up?" I asked when I entered the kitchen.

"I don't want you to see Alfie anymore."

"What?" I whispered not attempting to hide the hurt in my voice.

"I don't want you seeing that boy." He said more sternly this time.

"Why not?"

"Because I said so."

"Well I'm sorry Dad but thats not a good enough reason!" I yelled tears making their way out of my eyes.

"Well its going to have to be!" He yelled back.

"Why are you doing this?!" I demanded. He didn't answer so I ran up the stairs to my room and lay on my bed holding my stomach.

He wasn't going to make me stop seeing Alfie, I loved him.

These were the thoughts that ran through my head as I opened my window and jumped out.