Chapter Eight: Fright Night

Loud blares of sirens were heard out on the road, a black car with a small blue and red light to the right of the hood was driving through the rain, going as fast as it could to respond to a distress call from the city's Cawthon Medical Hospital.

   "Detectives Thompson and Scott responding." The passenger replied to the radio.

   The driver, Detective Jack Thompson, a middle aged man had been with the law for more than a decade and had earned countless records of outstanding service.

   The passenger, Detective Robert Scott, was not new to the job that police officers have, he was also serving the law for a long time, but not as long as his partner.

   "Another day, another case." Thompson sighed.

   The two arrived at the crime scene at around three in the morning. It was still dark, but the neighbors were awake and outside, wondering what the commotion is about. Thompson and Scott stepped out of their vehicle and were greeted by the city coroner.

   "Jack Thompson and Robert Scott, what do we got?" Thompson asked the coroner and shook hands with him.

    "Warren." The coroner introduced himself, "Two bodies: a nurse, Samuel Pleasance, 27, and a night guard, Malcolm Loomis, 52."

   "Show us." Scott insisted.

   They reached the surveillance room where the doors were shattered and the things inside were scattered about. "So this is where it happened?"

   "This is where it began." The coroner said, pointing to the smudged bloodied bare footprints on the ground with bits of shattered white plaster cast alongside it, "It somehow implied that the man with the cast used it to tip over this large rack." He pointed to the rack that blocked the door.

   They followed the footprints and it led to where the heinous act was done: both ends of the hallway were blocked with yellow police tape with only the coroner and the two detectives having the permission to pass through. At the center were two bodies, both swimming in a pool of blood.

   They approached a body wearing the blue uniform, "That's Loomis, the night guard." The coroner said as the two detectives took a closer look, putting on latex gloves and inspecting the wire wrapped around the neck.

   "He was strangled by that wire." The coroner added.

   "He was hanged first." Scott looked up the ceiling where he spotted a strip of wire like the one around the man's neck dangling from the ceiling.

   Thompson left Scott and went to the other cadaver and compared to the night guard, the nurse's neck was contorted and twisted around, it looked much worse: his olive green uniform was mostly covered in blood, with broken ribs sticking out of the abdomen with majority of its bones shattered.

   "Time of death?" Thompson asked.

   "I'd say after midnight." Warren replied.

   Scott scrutinized the body and saw something lodged at the back of the man's neck, he took it out and it was a piece of metal covered in rust, "Thompson!" He called out, "I found something."

   "I think I did too." His partner responded.

   Scott took out the metal and brought it to his partner, "This shrapnel was halfway in his neck."

   "Take a look at this." Thompson aimed his flashlight at a nearby wall, there were scratch marks on the surface along with rust on it, but what puzzled them the most is the claw marks on the wall was bigger than the average person's hand. Then something caught his eye: beside the footprints was a larger set of prints, it was shaped like a rectangle with three lines sticking out to one side, "What are those prints?" He asked.