Chapter 5.

"I'll get it mom," I yell as I hear the doorbell ring. It's Jacob. "It's just Jacob."

I thump down the steps in my jean shorts and gray tank top. Jacob wouldn't tell me where he is taking me, but he said to dress for the outdoors. And it's hot in California so I'm dressing according to the weather. I'm wearing a gray flowy tank top that says "Good Vibes" on it, white lace jean shorts, a sea green bathing suit top, and sea green sandles. I'm bringing a cardigan, too, though, in case it gets colder outside later on. I have sunglasses on and my hair in curly beach waves.

I walk up to the door and open it. Jacob stands there and smiles at me. He's wearing a California shirt and khaki shorts. He has sunglasses on, too, and his hair is spiked up a bit in the front and it's a good look on him. So cute...

"What?" Jacob says laughing.

"What?"

"You said so cute. What's so cute?" Jacob says with a sly smile on his face.

Oh my gosh, I didn't say that out loud, did I?

"Uh... Uhm, my... Dog! Yeah Scruffers is so cute, isn't he just so cute?" I say, bending down to pet Scruffers, my four year old Golden Retriever. I think I played that off okay.

"I see, yes Scruffers is very cute," He bends down to pet Scruffers and gets licked multiple times by the fluffy beast. "I brought you this, by the way."

In his hand is a single red rose. He extends his hand to me and sets it down in mine, and I look up at him and smile. He wraps his arms around me and it's the most comforting feeling. I nuzzel my head into his neck and he holds me tighter. I take a deep breath and close my eyes.

Wow, he smells really good.

He pulls away all too soon and grabs my hand. "Want to get going?"

"Uh, sure. Do you want to stop in and meet my mom really quick?"

"Yes of course!" Jacob says smiling.

Mom comes down the stairs just as Jacob walks in the door. "Hi! You must be Jacob," she says to him extending her hand for him to shake it. "It's so nice to meet you!"

"It's a pleasure to meet you too, Mrs. Whitlow!" Jacob says smiling and shaking her hand.

"Oh please, call me Diana." My mom smiles.

"Thank you, Diana, for letting me take your daughter out. Heartlynn is a great girl, and I am honored to be able to take her out on a date. So thank you." Jacob smiles and looks at me.

"Wow, such a gentleman," Mom smiles at him and then winks at me when he turns around. "Okay, well you too should get going. Have fun and have her home by 9:00!"

"Mom," I groan.

"Okay, okay. 11:30."

"Thank you mom," I laugh and smile as I wave goodbye and Jacob starts walking forwards.

"Are we taking bikes to this mystery place?" I ask him as he walks up to his bike that is parked next to mine.

"Yes ma'am." He says as he gets on his bike. "It's not too far away, don't worry babe."