Chapter 2.

After Algebra, I go back to my locker. When I get there, I see a tall boy with brown hair and a blue hoodie standing there, smiling at me. It's Jacob.

"Hey, Jacob," I greet him, smiling. "What are you doing at my locker?"

"Uhm... This is awkward," He tells me. "I'm actually not at your locker. I'm at my new friend's locker."

He gestures to a short boy with thick glasses and a textbook in his hand. He is wearing a button up shirt, khaki pants, and white tennis shoes. Obviously a Freshmen. The boy looks over at Jacob with a puzzled look on his face.

"Do I know you?" The boy asks Jacob, seeming confused.

"Yeah, obviously, buddy," Jacob says, teasingly pushing the boy's shoulder. "We're best friends, remember?"

"Uhm, I don't recall ever meeting you before now."

"Oh," Jacob says. "Well bye now."

The kid walks away, giving Jacob weird looks until he finally gives up and forgets it. I burst out in laughter.

"I can't believe you just did that to the poor kid!" I hit Jacob in the side of his arm.

"What I can't believe is that he didn't wanna be friends with me," Jacob says, pretending to cry.

"Oh my goodness," I am doubled over now. "If it makes you feel any better, I'll be your friend."

"No. I want him."

"Oh wow okay I see how it is," I say, now I'm pretending to cry. "I feel so betrayed."

"Oh no, baby, it's okay," He says, and a chill runs down my spine when he calls me baby. "You're my best friend."

"Awwe thanks," I say, blushing.

"No, literally. You are my best friend, I don't know anyone else so you won by default," He laughs, chasing me down the school hallway.

"You jerk!" I shout at him. He pokes me in my sides, so I slap at his hands. He starts tickling me and I shriek with laughter. I grab his wrists so he can't tickle me, but he wriggles free. He grabs my wrists and playfully pinns me to the wall of lockers. His face is mere inches from mine now, I can smell his cologne. Now that I'm getting a closer look at his face, I find light little freckles on the bridge of his nose. I look down at his pink lips, and I bite mine. I have to look up to meet his eyes because he is so tall and so close to me. Once our eyes find each other, his gaze is locked on mine, and he bites his plump lower lip. Our faces are closer now. I feel his hand graze mine, then his hand finds my waist. We are both breathing heavily from all the laughter and running, and his face is closer than ever to mine now. I close my eyes as he leans into me, pinning my whole body to the lockers. His chest is pressed against me, and he brings one of his hands up to my face. He rests it on my cheek and slowly runs the pad of his thumb across it. He leans in. I feel the warmth of his breath on my cheek as he presses his pink lips to my cheek, then my chin, then my cheek again. He slowly pulls away, his body still pressing me into the lockers. I glace up at him, and my eyes meet his. His eyes are beautiful.

"You're so beautiful," He whispers, though I don't know why he is whispering.

We stand there like that for a few moments, and I forget about everything else. People, school, college, cheer, everything. I am focused on him.

I am just about to thank him when the bell for lunch rings. We pull away as Freshmen flood the hallway, their class just got out. 

"We should... We should probably go to lunch now," I say, still feeling butterflies.

"Oh, oh yeah," He remarks, as if he forgot where he was for a moment. "Let's go, Heartlynn."