Chapter 3.

As we walk down the hallway, I feel so nervous for some reason. He just pinned me to the lockers and kissed my cheek! I can't even look at him, so instead I fiddle with the key chain on my lanyard. I look down at my ID, my picture looks really bad. My left eye is half closed because the light was in my eye, I look like I am making an attempt to wink and failing. Jacob notices me playing with the chain, and his head turns toward me.

"Is that your ID?" He asks me, pointing to the plastic card attached to my lanyard.

"Uh, yeah," I answer him, flipping it over so he can't see the picture.

"Can I see it?"

"Why would you want to see a bad picture of me?" I ask him.

"I bet it's not half as bad as you say it is," He says, opening the door to the cafeteria for me.

"Ha, not really, but thanks. I guess you can see it," I cave, reluctantly handing the ID to him.

He takes the ID, and before looking at it, he sits down across from me at a lunch table. He turns the plastic card over in his hands, examining it. Then the corners of his lips turn up slightly, and he glances up at me. He hands over the ID.

"I don't know what your talking about, you look pretty in that picture," He tells me, and I blush. "And your birthday is May 20?"

"Thank you, and yeah it is," I say laughing. He is referring to the fact that our birth dates are on our school ID's. "It's in a little less than a month."

"Oh, really?" He remarks matter of factly. "Mine is in two months, so I guess you're older than me."

"Haha, kiddo," I tease him, feeling more relaxed. It was just a friendly kiss on the cheek, right? It didn't mean anything... Right?

"Okay, that's enough, babe. Stepping over the line."

"Did you just call me... Babe?" I ask him laughing harder.

"Well, yeah. I call everyone babe, it's my thing I guess," He replies. "Sorry, It's a force of habit from my old school."

"What was your old school like?" I ask him.

"Uh, it was good, I suppose," He answers, getting up with me to go get our lunch. "I had to leave though, for my mom's work."

"Oh, where does she work?"

"She works as a fitness trainer, a waitress, and a caretaker for those with special needs," He says, looking off into the distance.

"Really? Wow that's really cool that she does all that," I tell him meaningfully. "What does your dad do?"

"Uhm..." He stutters, looking down uncomfortably. "We don't talk anymore."

"Oh, I..." I stutter, not knowing what to say next. "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," He assures me. "My parents got divorced three years ago. My dad and I haven't spoken since he left."

"Jacob, I'm really sorry. I had no idea-"
"It's okay! Really, don't worry about it," He reassuringly says to me. "I know you didn't know."

"Okay, good," I breathe out, relieved. "Just let me know if you ever need to talk, okay?"

"Okay," He replies with a half smile. "Sure thing... Heartlynn Eve Whitlow."

"Shut up," I giggle. "Jacob Michael Whitesides."

"Call me whatever you want, but I will always be the most popular," He says in a valley girl voice, while pretending to flip his hair over his shoulder. "And you're all just jealous."

"Are you kidding me? Do you know how that makes me feel?" I ask him, imitating the actor from White Chicks.

"How do you feel?" He asks, and I hope he catches on after I say my next line.

"I'm so... Freaking... Pissed!" I say, and he bursts out into laughter.

"You've seen White Chicks?" He asks, in between breaths.

"Yeah, who hasn't?"

"It's a really funny movie. I guess now we have another thing in common," He tells me smiling.

"Yeah, I guess we do," I agree.

For the rest of lunch, we talk about our lives and interests. Jacob's favorite color is blue, his dad left three years ago, and he doesn't like fish. He is only a bit younger than me. I also found out a lot more, and I discovered that he's a very interesting person. I'm really glad that I met Jacob Michael Whitesides.