» 15 «

The only sound that filled the room was the sound of the two men's heavy breathing.

The boy across from the blond was the first to break the deafening silence. "Niall... Please, say something."

Niall shook his head, not being able to do anything but collapse back on to the couch as his knees felt weak.

Liam sat beside him, staring with large, apologetic eyes. "Please."

Niall simply scoffed, shaking his head again. "What do you want me to say Liam? That I'm happy for you? 'Congratulations' on your engagement? I just..." Niall trailed off, not knowing what to say. The weight on his chest was too heavy, and it was getting hard to form proper words.

Liam was going to be married.

His crush - who Niall thought he actually might be with - was getting married in 3 months.

"I'm sorry Niall, I really am. Look, I don't even want to marry her. I really don't. I agreed to this arranged mating when I was 16... Well, I didn't even agree. My dad told me about it when I was 16 and I just didn't try and fight it. I went with it. I was naïve, wanting to please my father more than I wanted to please myself. I didn't know what I was doing. I don't want to do it anymore... I want to fall in love and get married the proper way. I've only met Sophia a few times and I don't like her at all, not even as a friend." Liam explain quietly, sighing and running his fingers through his hair.

"Why? Why are you even doing it then? Can't you call it off?" Niall asked hopefully. It wasn't like Liam didn't have any power, right? Surely he could do something about this.

"I can't... My father will be so angry with me. Like I said, they're doing this to unite my pack and Sophia's pack into one large one. If we back out, we don't know how the other pack would react. It could start an all-out war." Liam muttered, shaking his head in defeat.

"Why couldn't you tell me this before you kissed me?! Why did you have to go and make things even worse?!" Now Niall was angry. He felt betrayed and hurt and mad at Liam. This would've been a lot easier if they hadn't of kissed.

"I'm sorry. I just, I don't know okay! You were the one who was fucking teasing me! How could I not kiss you?" The brunet snapped, and Niall huffed, turning to glare at him.

"It's called fucking self-control Liam! You should probably get some of it!" Niall spat back, crossing his arms over his chest. Niall didn't want to argue with him again but it seemed like they were going to. Deep down, he partially knew it was his fault for teasing him like that, but that didn't lessen his anger.

What Liam said next surprised the blond.

"I don't regret kissing you, I, if that's what you're trying to get me to say. I'm sorry that I kissed you before I told you about this, but I'm not sorry for the actual kiss." Liam said calmly, making his head snap up to look at him. "Believe me when I say I hate this as much as you do, because I really do. I'm just upset as you are about all this. I don't want to marry some girl I hardly know. Can you imagine how horrible that is? Wasting your life, your first marriage, your first children, first home on some person you don't even like? I always tried to convince myself that maybe I could learn to love her.... But then I met you and everything changed. It may be hard for you but please remember it's hard for me too."

That made the human calm down, letting out a deep breath. Liam was right, this wasn't any easier for him either. Plus, hearing his crush confess he liked the kiss doesn't really hurt to hear either. "I-I know.... I know... I'm sorry it's just- This is so messed up." Niall sighed, burying his face in his hands, his elbows on his thighs.