CHAPTER THIRTY: The Chuunin Festival

Start from the beginning

Hanako looked at Shisui. He was staring down, with a crease between his eyebrows. "What is it?" she asked.

"We took the Iwa ninjas to the Hokage for further interrogation," he said. Hanako widened her eyes.

"And?"

"He let them go after we told him the Tsuchikage had said he wasn't planning an attack on Konoha in the near future."

"What?" Hanako snapped. Shisui shook his head and crossed his arms over his chest.

"He let them go," he repeated. Hanako's eyes moved from Shisui to Itachi. He was looking down with a grim expression.

"I heard you the first time," Hanako sighed and closed her eyes. "I just don't understand...they tried to attack him, and he just let them go?"

"He's probably just trying to avoid another war," Shisui commented. "Nothing big happened because we were there. At least he's grateful for that."

Hanako opened her eyes again and looked at the boys. She probably expected too much from the Third.

"He also wants the incident to remain a secret," he added seriously. Hanako sighed.

"I understand..." She turned away from them and started heading towards the exit. "I'm going home to rest."

"Sure..." Shisui nodded. "See you tonight, then?"

Hanako stopped on her tracks and looked at Shisui from over her shoulder with a raised eyebrow. "Tonight?"

Shisui snickered, Itachi only looked at her with a plain expression. "Tonight's the Chuunin Festival, you silly," Shisui explained. "It's a tradition of the village to organize it the day after the Final Rounds. Its purpose is to commemorate those who participate and become Chuunin."

"Really?" Hanako tilted her head in confusion. She didn't remember ever being to a festival.

"When Hikari became a Chuunin, she chose not to attend. I'm not letting you make the same mistake." Shisui smiled mischievously.

"It's just a festival," Hanako sighed. "I don't see what's so important about it."

"You don't have a choice. The four of us are going together," Shisui stated matter-of-factly.

Hanako looked at Itachi and then at Shisui. "Four?"

Shisui's grin only widened. "Hikari should come as well. Maybe we can challenge each other in the game stands."

Hanako pondered the situation and finally a smirk came to her mouth. "I see what all this is about. You suck at making plans Shisui." Shisui's grin disappeared and he looked at Hanako with confusion. "You're setting us up aren't you?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about..." Shisui raised his hands, feigning innocence. Hanako only narrowed her eyes at him.

"You intend for the four of us to go, but you plan to ditch us so you can be with my sister, don't you?" Hanako continued to ask.

Shisui shook his head, "Again, I don't—"

"You really need help," Hanako sighed. "Fine, I'll help you. I'll convince Nee-chan to come with me to the Festival. Then we casually meet with you, and you drag her away subtly."

Shisui frowned. "Why are you suddenly helping me?"

Hanako smiled. "Because you're like part of the family already, so why not make it official?" Shisui blushed.

"Wow, that's like the kindest thing you've ever said to me."

"Don't get used to it. Sucker."

"Troublemaker."