Chapter 3

The day passed in a blur of preparation. The villagers all worked to help each other out with gathering supplies including food, water, wood to build up weak shelters and make them stronger, candles and light sources, and weapons. The only weapon that could do damage to a vampire other than another vampire's fangs was a metal known as silverstone. There was also a plant called asaphain, but no one knew where to find it, as it hadn't been seen in centuries. Both of these weapons against vampires were incredibly expensive and would exceed the money of all villagers put together, so the people had to make do with what they could find.

They gathered sharp sticks and knives, bows and quivers full of makeshift arrows, and bombs. Obviously the town didn't have real bombs, so they filled glass bottles with alcohol and stuffed the top with strings and rags, which would be lit and thrown to cause small explosions. Fire could do damage to vampires and werewolves alike, so the bombs were their best bet at a weapon. However they had to be used sparingly for there was only one bomb per family, and the damage would also be done to any property hit.

Ashley and Luna quickly cooked up some fish and rice for the family, but no one had much of an appetite. They were too worried about the night. The blood moon meant loss of family and friends. Would everyone make it to see the next day? The group knew that they had to eat, so everyone took miniscule bites, not wanting to waste the food, but not in the mood to eat much of anything.

"So," Chase began between small bites, "I know that no one wants to talk about this, but I feel like it's important. If one of us dies..."

"Not now." Ashley said quietly, but Chase shook his head.

"There's no other time for it Ash." He told her and she bit her lip, but nodded.

"If any of us die," he continued, "the rest of us move on. Sure, we can grieve and stuff, but we can't let that get in the way of protecting one another. We can't afford that."

"I agree." Luke said quietly. "A bit of grieving, but not too much. We'll need each other more than ever if that happens."

The group nodded and returned to their minimal eating. No one wanted anyone to die, but Chase was right. They had to be prepared if the unthinkable happened.

Later, after the food had been cleaned up to prevent smelling more delicious than they already did, the group crouched in the back corner of the first floor of the house.

"You ready?" Chase asked nervously.

"As ready as we're gonna get." Dean replied.

At these words, the group lapsed back into silence, each considering different possibilities for the night.

It was about 10:00pm when the clouds shifted and a scarlet moon revealed itself, casting the entire village into an eerie, crimson glow. The group braced themselves for the sound, and then a howl that rattled the windows split the air and a werewolf pack followed by a vampire coven charged into the village. Ashley let out a sob because the vampire with the warning had been telling the truth; the blood moon would occur within the village itself.

Chase held the bomb and a match ready to be lit. Luke and Gale both clutched hunting knives, which wouldn't kill a vampire or a werewolf, but would be enough to stun either. Gale had a bread knife and Luna held her bow and arrows. Ashley held a broomstick that had been filed to a sharp point, but she seemed in no state to use it. No one wanted to have to use their weapons, but they knew with the battle so close, use of them would most likely be required.

It was then that a wolf came flying at the house and Chase screamed, "Duck!" before the front wall came crashing in. Ashley let out a shriek, which mingled with Luna's cry of terror. The wolf was snapping at a fanged creature, which was locked in combat with it. The vampire seemed to have the upper hand that was, until another wolf ran over and snatched the creature up in its teeth and carried it away.