Chapter 1: California

My name is Destiny Fukui and I'm a senior college student at a university that specializes with public relations and communications. My parents have been divorced since I was 5 years old, I've been living with my dad since then in Japan. When I was not 18 yet, I flew back and forth from here to the U.S.A. every summer cause that's what my parents have agreed on when they settled their divorce. Once I'm of legal age, I never went back to California despite my mom's insistence. It's been 3 years since I last saw my mom. Oh and I have an older brother who probably hates me. So why did I find myself flying to California during the start of my summer vacation? Apparently, my mother is getting remarried to a guy named Pierre. He's French obviously. They've met 2 years ago at an event gala my mom organized. Blah, blah, blah, they fell in love and now Pierre has popped the question.

"You don't seem like you want to go to California." A man in his 40's says to me with a sympathetic smile.

"If I had a choice I would never set foot in that place again. Alas! I have to attend my mom's wedding cause my dad can't." I tell him with a smile. He seems confuse for a moment before he realizes the situation.

"I see." He folds his newspaper before looking at me again. "I hope you enjoy your time there even if you don't really like it. The idea of your mom getting remarried must be painful." He pats my hand before turning back to his paper. I just look out the window to see endless of blue. He's right, I wasn't keen on the idea of my mom remarrying some guy but the real reason I never want to go back is the memories I had there when I spent my summer vacation in California.

"Come on Des. Your mom really wants you there and I bet she misses you" dad says to me as I keep shaking my head. There was no way I was flying back to California after 3 years and see my mom and brother.

"Dad, I don't want to. I don't get along with Jeff before you and mom divorced, much more now. Please don't force me." I pleaded but to no avail.

"Sweetie, you and Jeff are adults now, well Jeff is and I think it's a great idea to have a little time with them. Please, do it for me." Dad says making me sigh and reluctantly nod my head in agreement. "Thank you." He kisses my cheek.

"But if I don't like how everything is done there, I am flying back here." I say and dad just smiles at me.

I'm shaken out of my reverie when the pilot announces we will be landing soon and the seat belt sign is turn on. The plane slowly touches down the runway before stopping at its assigned gate. When the seat belt sign is turned off, I stand up from my seat and take my carry-on from the overhead compartment. I say goodbye to the crew before walking to the baggage conveyor waiting for my other luggage. The man from before smiles at me as he takes his bags before bowing and walking away. I see my suitcase and take hold of it, walking towards the lobby of the airport.

I see my mom holding up a sign that says DESTINY FUKUI which is embarrassing really and I wave at her. She smiles so big I almost got scared, she runs to me holding her arms out and before I know it, I'm engulf in a hug. I hug her back, despite avoiding her for 3 years, I still feel comfort in my mom's arms.

"Oh Destiny, I missed you so much." She says giddily. "I am so happy to see you again baby girl." She adds getting teary eyed. "Look at you. You're such a grown up now."

"Hi mom. It's good to see you too." I tell her with a smile. She takes hold of my suitcase and loops her arm around my own as we walk out of the airport.

"Jeff was suppose to come with me but he's been called by his firm. Don't worry, he'll be joining us for dinner with his girlfriend." Mom says while she hands my suitcase to her driver and I give him my carry on before climbing in the car. I put a distance between me and mom as the car pulls out of the airport and off to the highway. I look out the window to see the changes this place has, also to avoid starting a conversation with my mom. I love my mom but the divorce has made its impact on my relationship with her and since then I've been distant.

"How have you been Destiny?" I hear my mom asks and I turn to look at her. I can see in her eyes the longing she has for her daughter, I can see her hand wanting to touch me but she doesn't knowing that our relationship has been strained for a long while now.

"I'm good mom. How about you?" I answer politely and see her sigh lightly.

"I'm happy now that you came here after 3 years. I've been inviting you but you keep on declining." She says in a happy tone but I can detect the sadness in her voice.

 "I know mom. I was just busy with school and all." I tell her. It was true though but the real reason I stopped flying here was to avoid her and my brother. She gives me a sad smile, nodding her head before looking straight ahead. I look out the window once again.