Chapter 13: In case you didn't hear

The office itself seemed to whisper with rumors after the dance shared between Marilyn and Sam.

"Did you see how intimate they looked at the wedding? Hell, I can't tell if its love, or she's been banging him from the start." Scoffed Mary as she took a sip of tea in the break room.

"Excuse me?" Asked Connor, overhearing the conversation between her and another employee.

"Oh Connor.. We we're just um.."

"Getting back to work." He finished for her. "Do not talk about her that way, and I don't want to hear anymore gossip about those two. Keep your nose out of business that isn't yours." Spoke Connor rudely as he walked out.

He made his way up to Mr. Kennedy's floor and sat on Marilyn's desk.

"Mar, there's some serious gossip going around." He said as he took a bite of the apple that he had just taken from the break room.

"I know. I've heard." She said as she typed away on her computer.

"Well, I just had to get sassy with Mary because she can't keep her mouth shut about other people for five minutes of her life."

"You love giving sass, what are you complaining about?" Marilyn laughed and Connor threw her a smile.

"I wasn't complaining about being a sass master, but I hate the way they're talking about you. They make you out to be some whore that's sleeping with the boss."

"Well hello, Connor. Good morning." Sam greeted, smiling at the two as he walked out of his office.

"Good morning, Mr. Kennedy. How are you?" Connor asked.

"I'm swell, Mr. Worth. What about yourself?" He smiled.

"Eh. I've been better."

"And why is that?"

"You ruined Marilyn's reputation and now I have to go around, bitching people out because they think she's some kind of whore and she's not." Connor spoke, biting into his apple again. Sam was in shock, how could anyone think that sweet Marilyn was anything but pure?

"Connor, it's not for him to worry about, you shouldn't have said anything." She whispered, just loud enough for Sam to hear.

"It is for me to worry about. I won't have one of my employees reputations ruined because of my actions. Have you ever watched a raging storm become silent, Marilyn? Because you're about to." Said Sam seriously. "Connor, would you please inform everyone to meet in the conference room in a half an hour?"

"Yes, sir." Connor spoke, unsure.

"See you both then." Sam spoke before he disappeared into his office again. Connor and Marilyn shared an uncertain glance with each other before Connor made his way down stairs to spread Mr. Kennedy's word.

A half an hour later, they all gathered in the conference room with Mr. Kennedy heading the room. He had told Marilyn only a few moments ago to take her place beside him.

"Now it has come to my attention that you all like to gossip. Mostly about what happened at Mr. Worth's wedding between Miss. Kerr and myself. I would like to clarify, though, I don't have to tell you about our personal lives, I choose to. You all make up my family, and so, I must be honest. I find Miss. Kerr extremely attractive and beautiful, however we have never slept together. Get the thought of Miss. Marilyn Kerr being one of my whores out of your mouths." He then turned to Marilyn. "Marilyn, I am terribly sorry about their judgement. I can't be sure that they will apologize themselves, but what I can be sure of, is that this is going to be headlining news tomorrow." He spoke, and without warning, he pressed his lips firmly to hers. She seemed to melt like the wax in a lit candle, and the passion that had built from waiting, overflowed onto her lips. He pulled her in so close, and held her so tightly that they felt as though their body's were made for each other, fitting perfectly together like your hand and a lover's. The fire in their stomachs must have lit fireworks, because sparks were sprinkling down around them like the Fourth of July.

She tasted the whiskey on his lips as he moved them against hers, signalling that he had a little liquid courage before he had walked into that conference room. He pulled away slowly, almost in terrible dread of the loss of her lips upon his. They were then shoved back into reality as their lips parted their separate ways. All that could be heard is the gasps and the sound of camera shutters on IPhones. What wonderful sounds.

"Now that this is all cleared up, I'd like to get back to work now. I expect you all to do the same." Sam spoke as he exited the room. Marilyn stood at the head of the room in shock as the women in the office shot her jealous glares, and the men in the room thought of Sam with envy. Marilyn blinked, gathered her feelings, and walked out the door, followed by Connor.

"That was hot!" Said Connor the moment they got into the hall outside of the conference room.

"I cannot believe... I don't...I don't even know what to say." Said Marilyn, wide eyed.

"Go talk to him."

"No. I don't think that would be a good idea."

Marilyn made her way back to her desk, sat down in her favorite new office chair, and sighed.

Ding.

Marilyn turned her attention to her company computer. She had received an e-mail, one of the many she was sure would follow after 'the incident', which she had decided on calling it.

"Make reservations for a restaurant you like and be ready by eight. We're going out. xx Sam"

"Oh Marilyn, what have you gotten yourself into?" She sighed.