Chapter 7: Her best friend

All weekend she had listened to Haley gush about Sam. The way his body felt against hers as they danced, the things he whispered into her ear. Marilyn didn't bother to listen. She didn't bother to input her opinion, she just let it be. The jealousy still got to her, and that is why she preferred not to speak of him any longer. She didn't understand this feeling that seemed to creep in at the thought of her friend and her boss together. She should be happy for her right? She doesn't have feelings for Mr. Kennedy? Does she? No. She can't. Not a chance. Never.

She arrived at work and placed a coffee in front of Connor just like every day.

"Thanks, doll. So how are you? What have you been up to?" He asked.

"I'm fantastic, and really nothing much. Just listening to Haley talk about how sexy and sophisticated Mr. Kennedy is. ALL WEEKEND." She spoke annoyed, sipping her coffee.

"Why thank you, Miss. Kerr. I am rather sexy and sophisticated." Sam spoke behind her with a smirk. Connor laughed.

"I didn't say that about you, Haley did." She spoke. She didn't bother to turn around and look at him.

"Oh. Fantastic! She was a lovely little woman." He smiled.

"Oh, I'm sure." Marilyn mumbled.

"What was that?"

"Nothing."

"Miss. Kerr, to your desk please, we're going to have a long day ahead of us."

He was correct. It was a very long day, the hours that ticked by until her lunch were unbearable. 'Cancel these plans', 'make these plans', 'reschedule this.' It was exhausting. Her lunch hour finally came and she practically ran to the elevator.

"Connor, do you want me to bring you something to eat?" She asked as she made her way out.

"No thanks, darling. But come here. I have to talk to you about something." He spoke. Marilyn made her way to him with a concerned look. Connor was serious, something that he rarely was.

"What is it?"

"I heard Mr. Kennedy talking. I think he might ask Haley out, and I just wanted to give you a heads up because I know how you feel and I-"

She cut him off.

"How I feel? I don't feel any way about Mr. Kennedy. Not one thing. He's my boss, if he so chooses to ask out my best friend than so be it. May they have fun." Marilyn spoke as she walked out the doors. She could feel the anger run through her veins like lava in her bloodstream.

When she arrived back to work only an hour later the anger hadn't died down, and she knew that if she had to see his face it would only grow worse.

"Ah, Miss. Kerr. Oh how I've missed you." Sam joked in the lobby, leaning on Connor's desk. She clenched her teeth and Connor gave her an apologetic look.

"Ah Mr. Kennedy, oh how I've dreaded coming back." She spoke.

"I get like that sometimes, the job's exhausting." He smiled. She rolled her eyes.

"Miss. Kerr, is there something wrong?" He asked.

"No. Nothing at all."

"Well, I don't appreciate the attitude." He spoke seriously.

'And I don't appreciate you asking my friends on dates.'

"I don't have one." She spoke instead.

"Oh but you do. That little eye roll spoke louder than words ever could."

"I had something in my eye."

"Oh I'm sure you did." He spoke sarcastically. Connor sat back in his chair and sipped his afternoon green tea.

"Connor, do you know why she's so annoyed?"

"Oh don't get me into the middle of this!" Connor spoke laughing.

"So you do know!" Sam assumed.

"No. Whatever do you mean? What are we even talking about?" Connor played.

"Mr. Worth, tell me what she's so aggravated about or you're fired." Sam spoke sternly. Connor laughed.

"Oh please, you can't fire me just because I won't tell you why your secretary is pissed at you."

"Ha! So you are mad at me!" Sam spoke, turning his attention back to Marilyn.

"Damn it, Connor!" Marilyn said. "Why do you even care whether I'm mad at you or not! You're my boss, you're not supposed to give a damn!"

"Because we are friends, I hope. And a friend always cares when the other is mad."

"Friends? Please. I like to keep things professional." She scoffed. He felt a pain in his chest.

"If that's how you want it, fine. Get back to work, Miss. Kerr." He spoke as he walked past her, down a long hall.

"What have you done, Marilyn." Spoke Connor quietly.

"I don't know what I've done, but I'm damn sure it was a very bad move."

The entire day she was treated differently. He was no longer warm and inviting, but rude and short with her. He'd scowl at her only to smile a second later at another girl.

He didn't ask Haley on that date, because little did Marilyn know, he knew why she was upset. The thought of her jealousy thrilled him. She felt something for him just as he had for her. He smiled internally even as he frowned at her. She had the look of such guilt and he was fascinated by it. How she had enough strength to tell him what she wanted even if she didn't want it. He thought her small glances up at him were adorably eccentric. She glanced at him like a small child that had done wrong. He could see it in her eyes that she didn't mean it, but he wouldn't give up his treatment until she apologized. He knew it wouldn't be long before that time came.

"Miss. Kerr, you may leave now." He spoke tapping her desk.

She raised from her seat and walked around the desk to him.

"Mr. Kennedy, I'm so terribly sorry for earlier." She whispered. He smiled down at her.

"I know." He winked as he turned and disappeared into his office.