Chapter 3: His assistant

She awoke early. Her thoughts awoke her long before her alarm clock had the chance to. She swung her feet over the side of the bed and got up to make coffee. She had two hours to get ready before she was to leave for work. She had slept in curlers and it only took her a little less than a half an hour to do her makeup, so, she went to work on finding the perfect outfit. She decided on a black pencil dress and matching heels. As she winged her eyeliner and applied her favorite Mac lipstick and gloss, her mind wondered to her new boss. Would he remember her?

She took out her curlers and ran her hands through her silky hair. She laughed at herself, because she looked like one of those models in a magazine. But then again, so did he.

She arrived at work ten minutes early and met with the man at the desk. His name was Connor Worth.

"Now darling, you have to remember that anything Mr. Kennedy says, you do. No questions. He asks you to call his mother and tell him he can't come to a family get together, you do it. Be a kiss ass." Connor smiled. Marilyn laughed at this.

"You have an amazing personality." She spoke after only a few moments of talking with Connor.

"Thanks dear, who knows, maybe I'll become your GBF. Every girl needs one." He spoke running through things on his computer.

"GBF?" Marilyn asked, confused.

"Gay best friend. Where have you been?" He laughed.

"Oh. Well, maybe." She smiled.

"Then you can tell me all the dirt on that hottie. Oh sigh, all the hot ones are straight."

Marilyn laughed, she had a feeling, right at that moment, that Connor Worth was indeed going to be her 'GBF'.

"Mr. Kennedy will be here in five minutes. I'll introduce you two, then you will go with him and see your desk and then you'll start work. Sound good? It doesn't have to, you signed up to work in this hell hole." Said Connor. Marilyn laughed and Connor smiled at her and shot her a wink. He was funny.

Then, he walked in. That tall, masculine, beautiful man. He was wearing a crisp, black suit with a matching black tie, white button up shirt and sun glasses shielding his eyes.

"Good morning, Mr. Kennedy, sir." Said Connor.

"Good morning..." He tailed off.

"This is Miss. Marilyn Kerr, your new secretary."

"Hello, Miss. Kerr, I do believe we have met before. Two days ago to be exact." He smiled. He does remember. He outstretched his hand and she took it gracefully.

"You have some explaining to do." Whispered Connor in her ear. She smiled. Fifteen minutes in and she's already made a friend.

"Now, if you'll follow me I'll show you where your desk is." He spoke as he began walking. He stepped into an elevator and held it for her. She stepped inside and suddenly felt small. He was much taller than she. She was five foot, eight inches tall and he six foot, three inches, almost towering over her.

"How did you enjoy the rest of your night Saturday?" He asked her. She played with her hands nervously.

"It was very.. Relaxing." She spoke, unable to find the right words to describe the rest of the night. She and Haley had stayed up all night talking about him.

"Relaxing?"

"My friend and I went home, watched a movie, you know, relaxing."

They then arrived on their floor.

"Here we are." He spoke as he directed her out of the elevator.

"Here is your desk, those black doors over there are to my office. If you need me, press one on the phone, if I need you, all you will have to do is answer. Got it?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. Your day starts now, Miss. Kerr. Welcome to Kennedy Incorporated." He spoke as he walked into his office.

It had been only a half an hour before he called her.

"Miss. Kerr, I'd like you to call only the finest florist and have a bouquet of roses sent to the address in your e-mail's inbox. I'd like the card to say "I had a wonderful evening with you. Best regards, Sam." Do you understand?" He asks.

"Yes, sir. Right away." She spoke as she was just about to hang up.

"And Miss. Kerr, cancel my reservations at Mario's tonight, I won't be needing them."

"Will do, sir." She spoke as she hung up. She did as he said, but all she could think about was the many women he must have at his disposal. To order flowers for one and cancel plans for another.

When her lunch break came around she wondered down to the first floor to spend it with Connor. She wanted to get to know him more, and quite frankly, she didn't have anything better to do.

"Marilyn, darling, what's new?!" He spoke enthusiastically as he lent his elbow on his desk and his head on his hand.

"Connor, we spoke not even three hours ago. Nothing at all is new." She laughed.

"Well, might as well check. So I have been dying, literally dying, to know how you and hot stuff know each other!"

"Well, we met at Greektown. My friend and I were having drinks and he walked in. We didn't get names, but I knew who he was. He bought us drinks, even though he was with some girl, and when we left I had forgotten my purse, he brought it out and told me that my laughter was contagious and quite thrilling, as he put it. That's it. That's all that happened."

"Mr. McSexy bought you drinks?! Do you hear that? Hear it? That's professionalism FLYING OUT THE WINDOW!" Said Connor loudly as he spun in his chair. Marilyn laughed.

"Well, to be fair, he didn't know I was his new secretary."

"It doesn't matter, being attracted to someone just doesn't go away when you find out she works for you. Professionalism. Gone." He spoke as he threw his hands in the air.

"I highly doubt he found me attractive."

"Sam only buys drinks for women he finds attractive. It's a fact. But this woman he was with, what did she look like?"

"She was blonde, petite, tan, small nose? Why?"

"That's Katrina. She's his latest love interest, it's all over the press. You better hope that Mr. Kennedy bought you drinks discreetly. She's a highly jealous woman. She finds out that he bought you drinks and you're now working for him, she'd start a war." He spoke tapping his pen.

"My life feels like a soap opera."

"Join the club, honey. Mine's just more fabulous."