Chapter 4

Wilfred Graeme-Hughes folded his newspaper and moved his dirty breakfast dishes from the coffee table, making room for Terry. Jeantrine sat him down and propped a pillow behind his head.

"What happened?"

"He just started to hyperventilate in the coffee shop. I have no idea what's wrong."

"I say, Terry. Bit of stomach bother, have we?"

He shook his head and winced. "My head- I- I feel dizzy."

Wilfred stood up and laughed, turning to Jeantrine. "It's a massive hangover, old girl. Something set it off or a combination of somethings. Make him one of your cure-alls."

A full hour later Terry was able to sit up and drink the coffee prepared by Jeantrine. She sat beside him on the sofa, her hands folded in her lap. Wilfred, now dressed in casual pants and a mauve golf shirt, sat across the room sipping a cocktail and reading through some papers.

"Whew, that was not fun at all."

"You really reacted to last night's wine, I think." Jeantrine said.

"But I felt okay at home." He faced her and smelled the honey-scented perfume.

"Do you feel well enough to have that talk?"

He looked at Wilfred and jerked his head.

"Don't worry about him." She stood and walked over to Wilfred, bent down and whispered something in his ear. He looked up at her and then at Terry and did a facial shrug, gathered his things and left.

"I wish I could get rid of him that easily." Terry complained.

"He's not so bad, Terry." She came back and sat beside him. "Actually he's very nice... and generous."

"Yeah, okay." He leaned back and did a long, slow blink. "What did you want to say to me?"

"I wanted to state a case for Wilfred's plan and if you'll listen without getting upset or interrupting I think you might want to reconsider your position."

"Fine. Go ahead and talk." He closed his eyes and concentrated on her soft, throaty delivery.

Thirty minutes later Terry opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling. Apparently he'd slipped down while listening. Jeantrine was stretched out with her feet on the coffee table. Her argument drifted about in his mind like sand in the wind. His role, as she described it, seemed pretty simple. All he would be required to do was essentially tell the truth, slightly embellished, but mostly true. As Wilfred had said earlier, his own background patterned the Trasker heir quite closely. Still it was a scam and illegal as well. He sat up and found Jeantrine watching him closely.

"Well, any questions?"

"Yes. One. Do I look nuts?"

"Oh, Terry. This is an amazing opportunity. The trust is worth millions."

"What about the real heir, don't you think he might be entitled to it before us?"

"He has no idea who he is nor do the people who raised him."

"Oh gee, well in that case..."

"He's happily married with a baby, a lovely home and working away at a decent paying job."

"So you know who he is. Why not tell him, maybe he'll offer you a share."

She sat up and leaned forward, hands clasped. "Terry, Wilfred has worked very long and very hard on this. He has left nothing to chance and the reward is staggering. The trust has been in effect for twenty-six years, sitting in a bank and doing nothing but gather interest. It was huge to begin with if you know anything about Carleton Trasker."