Chapter 8: His Prisoner, His Guest

When I woke up, I was still laying in the floor of the castle. All the torches were out, as was the fire. I was freezing, but I could see a shadow a few feet away, so I didn't move. I was afraid of what that creature would do to me when he realized I was awake. My eyes adjusted to the darkness smothering me like a blanket, and I could discern that there was no one in the room except this hideous monster and myself. This frightened me even more, because he was talking to someone that I couldn't see.

"What should I do with the girl?" he asked in a gruff whisper. "I can't just leave her lying in the floor, but I can't move her. I'd impale her with my claws."

Great. The monstrous beast holding me captive wasn't just frightening. He was a raving madman.

I'd be dead in days.

"Maybe I should put a blanket over her, to keep her warm until she wakes up."

Suddenly another voice joined his. "Yes, my Lord. That seems wise. We wouldn't want the young lady to catch her death, now would we?"

I strained my eyes in the darkness, but all I could see was the hulking shadow of the creature.

The conversation continued. "My lord, do you think that this girl, could be-

The creature grunted. "Chandler, be quiet. You never know when she will wake up. And no, I don't think she is. I think it's too late for all that."

"But my lord, there is still time! You mustn't give up," said this Chandler, trying to sound encouraging; yet a hint of despair seeped through.

A sudden tickle in my nose let me know that my eavesdropping career would be short lived.

"AAACHOOO!" I sneezed loudly.

The torches came up quickly, and the fire roared back to life.

"I see you have finally rejoined us, miss. How kind of you," the creature said scornfully.

My temper flared. Although my hair wasn't red like my mother's, I had gotten her temper, and I wouldn't be pushed around or looked down on.

"You wouldn't know kindness if it kicked you, you wretched animal. You let me go! You're a madman! A raving madman! I won't stay in this castle. I don't care what you say, I'll find a way to get out of here!" I screamed, my fury and frustration pouring out at once.

"Miss, please calm down. There is no need for hysterics. You will not leave this castle. I will not allow it, and the castle will not allow it. So, just calm down. I want you to be as comfortable as possible during your extended stay here. Please, don't make this difficult," he said softly, trying to calm me.

He stood from his corner and walked towards me. I scrambled backwards in a crawl, like a reversed crab.

"You stay away from me!" I screamed.

The monster caught up with me. He leaned down, and grabbed me loosely by my wrist before pulling me to my feet.

"Come, I will show you to your room," he said, pulling me towards the stairwell.

I strained against him with all I had.

"Please, don't struggle so. I mean you no harm, and your efforts may cause me to harm you, unintentionally."

"You, animal! All you want is to harm me! Do you want to fatten me up and eat me for dinner? Or tear me to shreds for your own amusement?"I screeched.

"My lady, I would love to let you go. Your caterwauling is quite... annoying. But, you saw things that no one can see and therefore I cannot allow you to leave," he said.