Chapter 2: A Little Incident

A few days passed peacefully by. I finished weeding my garden, mending everyone's laundry, and doing all the other million chores that waited around the house. Finally, everything was done. Cleanliness was in order, at least for a day or two. So, I waited until there was no one down stairs, grabbed my book, and sprinted out the door, by the barn and across the meadow behind the cottage. I ran as hard as I could for as long as I could, the air fleeing from my lungs, legs cramping. But, I needed to get away.

Finally, I made it to the bank of the river. I found myself a spot almost on the bank where no one could see me, surrounded by enormous oak trees, and I laid down with my book. But I wasn't ready to dive headfirst into a far away land yet. I wanted to just sit on the bank and escape. The green grass poked up, growing from the dead leaves that had fallen last year. It tickled my bare arms. The sun warmed my face, and my body, filling me with happiness

I pulled off my boots, rolled up the bottoms of my breeches, and stuck my feet in the clear water. It was cold, but it felt so refreshing. I ran my feet across the smoothed, brown pebbles that lined the river bed. They shimmered between the sun and the crystal water. The current lifted some of the smaller ones, and carried them further downstream. It tugged at my feet, pulling them a little ways away from me. It was almost like the water was telling me what I was thinking. Run away... Get away from this inane life. Leave behind the responsibilities of your lost, absentminded father, and his crazy inventions. Get away from Oriabelle, and her fear of dirt, or work. Get away from practically being Petronille's mother. Just go on an adventure, and leave all these worries and all this work behind.

But I can't just pick up and leave. They need me. And if I were to leave, where would I go? I don't know anyone, and I have no money. There is nothing that sets me apart from anyone else when it comes to finding work.

Even though I longed to escape, there was no way out. I kicked my feet in the water, frustrated. Then I noticed a little fish swimming down the river, towards the forest, and the world beyond here.

He leapt high out of the water, as though trying to fly. However, the gently breeze that was tousling my hair blew him off his course, and he landed on the bank. I rose from where I sat, and took the fish in my hands. He was slimy, and cold. I waded out into the river with him flopping in my hands.

"Good luck to you," I whispered, letting him slide out of my hands, and into the river.

I stood there for a moment, watching him swim away, towards the south, and Coratona. The river tugged at my ankles, begging me to go on an adventure with it. I closed my eyes, and imagined what could be awaiting me to the south: deserts, hot sand blowing across my skin, exotic cities full of new smells and vibrant colors.

My reverie was interrupted when I heard a branch break in the trees on the ridge behind me. I turned around and saw nothing. More snapping came to my ears, when suddenly Henri came clomping into view. He walked heavily, as if he wanted the whole world to be aware of his ascent.

"Hello, Arabella! I went to your house, and your littlest sister... I can't remember her name, but the pretty red head, told me that you weren't there, but that you liked to come read on the river bank. And I'm glad for that. It gives us a little more privacy," he called as he walked my way.

I felt myself blush even though I was confused. Privacy? Why did we need privacy? He extended his hand and helped me maneuver back to the bank. Then, he plopped down next to me and took my hand in his. I quickly pulled it back, staring at him, shock plastered on my face. He must have thought me no better than one of the barmaids, the way he was behaving.

"Arabella, I didn't mean to offend you. I just, I want you to give me a chance. I know yesterday I may have shocked you, but I meant no harm. I simply admire your beauty, and I long to call you mine," he said.

The Dying Rose (Completed)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara