Chapter 9: Straub's POV

The plane ride back to Australia was boring, but at the same time I never wanted it to end. It's my last chance to be with Bee before who knows when? The next convention isn't for months, and we're not even sure if we're going. I want to cherish every moment I have with her.

We started watching a silent movie together on the little airplane screens, since we're both too cheap to pay for the headphones. I got bored of the silence after a few minutes though, and started inserting my own commentary.

"I hid the body just like you said, Daddy; now what?" I said as an innocent looking little girl skipped onto the screen.

Bee laughed, and I continued. A man who looked to be the girl's father picked her up and twirled her around.

"Vengeance is sweet, darling, but not as sweet as you!" I said in a very murderous sounding voice.

I continued for the rest of the movie, with Bee jumping in occasionally. I have no idea what the actual movie was supposed to be about, but our version involved a lot of brutal murders and magical portals to fantasy lands. Then the credits began to roll, and we high-fived. 

"We should become directors!" Bee laughed. I nodded.

"Yeah, I can be a master chef by day, and a horror film writer by night. Hollywood will fear our names!" I exclaimed.

The rest of the flight went by in a flash. We edited our vlogs for a while, and Bee read a book while I stared aimlessly out of the window. Fun fact: you can't find shapes in clouds if you're in the clouds. A flight attendant brought us our dinner and we complained about the low quality of air plane food to one another. Finally, the plane began to descend. 

"This is it," I whispered to Bee. She looked up at me and closed her book.

"Yup...we're finally home," She said with a bittersweet expression on her face. I took her hand, and held on the entire way down. It felt like the lower the plane got, the further I was pulled out of the fantasy I'd been living in the past few days. My metaphorical flight had come to an end. 

The seat belt thing dinged, and everyone jumped up to try and nab their luggage. We decided to wait until after most of the chaos had cleared to try and find ours. I unbuckled my seat belt and grabbed Bee's hand again.

"¡Lo qué bonito paraja eres!" said a hispanic looking man as he walked past us.

"Oh, I don't speak Spanish," I replied awkwardly.

"He said 'What a beautiful couple you are!'," His smiling wife explained with a strong accent. Bee and I blushed, and got out of our seats. I dragged our carry-ons out of the rack, and we made our way down the aisle and off the plane.

We rescued our suitcases from the spiral of doom, and walked over to the same McDonald's we first met at.

"This is where it all began, Strubber," Bee sighed.

"Yeah. It's where we said hello, and now it's where we'll say goodbye," I said as we stepped in line.

"You know, that's such an oxymoron," she said, almost smiling.

"An oxy-what now?"

"An oxymoron. It means two words that contradict themselves, like goodbye. There's nothing good about byes," she explained. I smiled.

"That's really cool! But also kinda sad...but mostly really cool!" I babbled. "What are some other ones?"

"Well...there's 'summer school', and 'act naturally', and 'alone together'..." she answered, trailing off at the end.

I grinned. "This is why I love you," I said quietly. 

We got smoothies from the McDonalds and went to wait for my flight to be called. I was leaving first for Melbourne, and then Bee for New South Wales. We hadn't even left yet, and I already missed her.

"We should take a departure selfie," Bee said. 

"Okay, how do you wanna pose?" I asked.

She thought for a moment. "Do you wanna break the news to our fans?" She said, grinning. I nodded and leaned over her, kissing her on the cheek. She snapped the picture.

"What should the caption be?" She asked. I took the phone, and wrote one for her. Then I hit post, and returned the phone. She looked at it and laughed.

"Hacked again by your jaw-droppingly handsome boyfriend," she read. We read through some of the comments already flowing in. There were a few haters, but for the most part people were really nice. A ton of people said congratulations, and there were quite a few fangirls freaking out about "Straubee going canon!!!". 

"We have great fans," Bee said. I nodded. 

A few minutes later, the intercom lady announced the boarding for my flight. I looked at Bee dejectedly. 

"I'll miss you," I said.

"I'll miss you more," she replied. 

"Don't tell me we're gonna be one of those couples," I joked. I looked at her for a moment, trying to imprint the memory of her blue-grey eyes and wavy brown hair in my mind forever.

"You should get going..." she said softly. "Remember to text me when you get home safe," 

I nodded and got up from the bench we were sitting on.

"I guess I won't say goodbye then...how about see you later?" I said.

"Okay," she agreed, getting up from the bench as well, "See you later!"

She leaned in and kissed me, but not in that rough, wild, kind of way. She was gentle and sweet, like I was a lollipop she was trying to savor the taste of. I would have happily stood there forever, but we were interrupted by the intercom reminding me I had a plane to get on.

"I love you!" I said as I rolled my suitcase towards the gate.

"I love you more!" she shouted.

I turned around and looked at her one last time before stepping onto the ramp and out of sight. 

I can't wait until I can see her again.