Chapter Twenty-One: Thou Shalt Not Talk

"Annie, I'm fine really," Finnick says as Nat pulls up to the hospital. Finnick got discharged a day later, but Annie is still insisting that Nat pick them up so Finnick doesn't have to take public transit.

"You're not at best friend status yet, Annie," Nat says as she got into the car. "He never tells anyone about the peanut allergy. I'm like one of three people on this earth who know."

"A lot more people know now," Finnick says. "And she may not be best friend status, but she's girlfriend status," he says, kissing her.

"Okay, rule number one," Nat says. "No PDA. Rule number two, next time one of you sits up front with me. Can you really not be apart so badly that you both have to sit in the back?"

They both nodded and Nat rolled his eyes. "It's nice to finally meet you in person," Annie tells Nat.

He nods. "You too. You're very pretty. Finn is very lucky." Annie blushes and leans against Finnick's shoulder. A few moments pass where no one says anything, before Nat fills that silence again. "So, Finnick, since you have a girlfriend, am I relieved of dentist duty on Saturday?"

"Dentist duty?" Annie questioned, not quite sure what they were getting at.

"Finnick hates the dentist, so he makes me take him. I think since you're the girlfriend, that duty should be passed to you this year."

"I'll take him" Annie says. "How bad can it be?"

"You'd be surprised."

***

"Ooh, there's a Starbucks," Annie says as they approach the dentist's office. "Can we go to Starbucks after? I haven't had it in forever and I kind of want one of their holiday lattes."

"You like Starbucks?" he asked.

She shrugged. "It's not my main coffee choice, but it's nice sometimes. I figured you would like it. Some of their coffees are really sweet."

"It's not sweet enough."

"I need to take you to some sort of support group for sugar addicts."

They get into the office and his body goes rigid. Annie then realizes what Nat was talking about. Finicky doesn't just "not like" the dentist, he's terrified of it. He sits in the waiting room, jiggling his knee, barely able to keep still. She takes his hand hoping it will calm him, but he still looks petrified.

When the hygienist comes out to call his name he squeezes her hand so hard that she thinks it's going to fall off. "You'll come with me, right?" he asked. She nodded. They keep holding hands, and when they get to the room, the hygienist has to pull in a chair from another room so she could sit next to him and hold his hand. Annie heard of people who hated the dentist so much that they had to go to special dentists so they could be sedated the whole time. Finicky didn't seem to be that bad, but once there was a tool that sounded like a drill, he looked like he was either going to jump through the ceiling or vomit over the poor hygienist.

His dentist, a smiling lady with dark brown hair and light brown eyes, came in to inspect his teeth. "Good news and bad news," she informs him. "What do you want first?"

"Good," Finnick says, his face practically draining of color.

"The good news is you have no cavities. I know how much you hate getting them filled." Finnick nods. That's an understatement. Before they realized they should just sedate him when filling cavities, he ended up kicking one of the poor hygienists in the nose. "The bad news," she says, getting right into it, "Is that you have to get your wisdom teeth removed. And soon, since we don't want them getting impacted."