Chapter Twenty-Six: Thou Shalt Not Cry

A/N: Before you start reading, thank you so much for all of the support. I've never really finished a novel before so I'm super proud of how this turned out. As a special thank you, here is a playlist (https://open.spotify.com/user/12168742204/playlist/7LCQ7vTzDDalKLU8ujdVJd)  I made that goes along with the fic. Whether or not you want to listen to it while you read is up to you. The sequel, The Couple's Clause, will be out in May, so keep an eye out for that!

"Nope, nope, nope. It was just September. I'm not graduating in a semester. No way," Madge says, laying against the wall so she's on the ground in an "L" shape and her legs are parallel to the wall.

"Why do you sit like that?" Jena asks. Jena never hung out with them that often so she's still attempting to get used to everyone's quirks and personalities.

"It's my existential crisis position," Madge says from her spot on the floor.

"At least you're not graduating in a week," Finnick points out.

"Or already graduated," Johanna adds.

"That's what you get for being smart and having AP credits," Katniss says flatly, looking over in Madge's direction. "You graduate a semester earlier than everyone else."

"I think if we all stay here forever, we will never have to graduate and no one will have to leave and we can just be together forever," Madge concludes.

"I wish that were true," Annie says, burying her head into Finnick's chest.

"I didn't come back for all this sappiness," Johanna groans.

"It's our last night together, Jo," Peeta says. "And Finnick's leaving."

"Shhh... Don't say the 'L' word or you'll set Annie off."

Annie glares at Johanna. "I'm fine," she says, blinking back tears, before getting up.

"No! Don't get up!" Madge says.

"Madge, we go through this every year."

"Don't leave me," she says, holding her hand out. Finally, Madge gets up and hugs her. "I'm going to miss you." Then she gets up and goes over to Finnick and hugs him. "Do great things and keep in touch." She goes over to Gale and starts crying.

"Jesus Christ, Madge," Gale says gently. "You'll see them again."

"I'm an emotional person. Let me have my moment."

Katniss hugs Finnick the longest, until finally Peeta puts a gentle hand on her shoulder to let her know she should probably stop. She sits down and says nothing and the entire room is silent. "Well, this is fun," Johanna says sarcastically. "The rest of you will all see each other in a few months and Finnick isn't dying. You'll see him again. I didn't even realize you guys liked him that much." She looks over at Finnick knowing how much he hates goodbyes. "I refuse to say goodbye, but I'm still staying for your graduation anyway so I'll see you soon, you idiot."

He laughs. "I can always count on you, Jo," he says, taking Annie's hand and heading out the door.

***

"So what do you want to do for our second-to-last night?" Finnick asks looking over at Annie. She looks up at him, tears clouding her eyes.

Finnick notices she's crying and goes over to comfort her. "Aw, Annie," he says, enveloping her in a hug. He kisses her on the top of the head and pulls her close. She grabs the back of his t-shirt and buries her face into his chest as she starts to cry. He holds her close to him as her body shakes and he sighs. I'm suddenly regretting this decision. "Hey, let's not let this night be sad. Do you have everything packed and put away so the people who are staying here over the summer don't ruin your stuff?"