Chapter Thirteen: Thou Shalt Not Tell Anyone About This

"Ready to go?" Finnick asks Annie.

A few weeks later and it was finally Halloween. It was on a Friday night, so it was sure to get a little crazy. Finnick and Annie still aren't together which frustrates the rest of the gang because they act like they're dating without actually dating. They've both admitted they like each other, they hold hands in public, and they usually sleep in the same bed. Finnick walks Annie to meet Madge every morning even if he doesn't have to be at class yet, and Annie sometimes meets Finnick on campus when he has to work late so she can keep him company and they can go home together.

Finnick smiles as soon as he sees her. "You look great."

She smiles. "So do you."

Finnick desperately wanted to be Tarzan and Jane because they wanted to do a costume together, but Annie decided they looked more like Meg and Hercules. The gang decided they all wanted to be Disney characters, so Peeta and Katniss were going to be Belle and the Beast and Madge was going to be Tinkerbell. She wanted Gale to be Peter Pan with her but Gale hates Halloween and dressing up. He's the kind of person who goes to a costume party in a "This is my costume" t-shirt. Johanna has worn the same prisoner costume for four years and every year she holds up a sign that says "four years and counting" or whatever year it is.

"I still can't believe you hadn't seen Hercules until I showed it to you."

"It was good," he says, as they walk out of the apartment. They're all going to meet at the gang's apartment and then head over to a party at a friend's house.

"You look so cute!" Madge squeals, running up to Annie. She's wearing a short green dress, sparkly flats, and her hair in a bun on the top of her head.

"So do you!" Annie responds. She looks around at everyone standing around. "Where's Gale?"

Madge rolls her eyes. "Inside. He might not come."

"Why?"

"Because he knows I'm pissed that he won't be Peter Pan and he's too stubborn to admit that he's afraid of me when I get mad." Madge is a very scary person to be in a fight with. They're all pretty bad people to fight with because they're so stubborn. One time Gale and Johanna got into a fight over a bet and they didn't talk to each other for a whole month. "You guys are all in couple costumes and I'm the only one who's actually in a relationship. Well, except Johanna and Jena."

As Madge says this, Finnick reaches for Annie's hand and she's glad he does. They've gotten used to touching constantly whether it's holding hands or snuggling on the couch. They reassure everyone and even themselves that it's purely platonic, even though it seems like there's something more to it. Annie likes holding hands with Finnick. It makes her feel safe. He makes her feel safe.

"Let's go," Johanna huffs.

"What's wrong with you?" Annie jokes. That seems to bring up a sore subject.

"She and Katniss are fighting," Peeta explains. "No one knows why."

"Johanna knows why," Katniss grumbles. "It doesn't surprise me that she won't tell you."

"Some things are better kept a secret," Johanna shoots back. "You would know all about that."

"Look in the fucking mirror, Mason," Katniss yells, just as Gale comes out of the apartment building.

"If you two continue to fight, I'm not coming," he says right away.

"Get over here," Madge says grabbing Gale's hand. "In my opinion, Halloween is the most romantic holiday after Christmas and Valentine's Day because all the couples can dress up together, so the least you can do is come to the party with me."